272 sailfish electronics screens

the.devo

Hello all,
I'm new to both here and to boat ownership but have been around boats for some time. I recently bought a 2000 272 Sailfish with 13 year old electronics and will be upgrading over the winter. My plan is to relocate the 4 Yamaha digital gauges to the dashboard glove box and install one screen in that location for viewing while motoring, and another screen to the overhead radio box under the hardtop for viewing from the rear deck while fishing. A few questions:
--Has anyone done anything similar with relocating the Yamaha gauges? How did it work out for you?
--Which, in your opinion, is a reasonably priced radar/ chartplotter/ fish finder unit that is capable of powering 2 screens?
--Is it possible for the overhead screen to be a "slave" to the lower screen so that I wouldn't have to reach up high to change the settings?

River Rat

You might want to look at the Garmin 740S. For just under 2 k you get the head unit (7") touch screen, radar and fish finder ( the transducer is extra). Don't know if you can do the ' slave' unit thing with that machine. You could just buy another Garmin 540 S for about 500.00 and mount it in the upper box. That way you have a back-up GPS ( all about redundancy).We' re pondering this setup on our 272, although w/o the radar.

My guess is that several of the manufacturers offer similar packages. Try West Marine's website for research....buy wherever the best deal is.

1998sailfish

Here is my modification. I use the upper electronics box for VHF and audio unit with dock. Both Simrad NSS8 screens fit side by side in the old lower box. All other Simrad network components as well as a new fuse panel have been located in the lower berth against the back of the head wall.

Attachments

• gradydash.JPG
    gradydash.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 963

1998sailfish

here is a image after fitting the Starboard trim and prior to routing out the remaining box insert.

Attachments

• dashfit.JPG
    dashfit.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 961

fishbust

I wouldn't try to move the gauges. Where they are is where the harnesses reach.

I am going to get a Raymarine E7D with radar. Does it all and remote on helm wheel. Also control stereo from screen. Also can see radar and nav screen sitting at the stern on cell phone or tablet, has Bluetooth and wifi. All very kool.