300 Or 350's On a Marlin?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I got a 2017 Marlin this spring. The 300s are a big jump from the 225s on my 2004 Marlin. I can't see any reason to spend the extra money on 350s, including servicing costs.

You will LOVE the new Marlin. There are some great improvements including painted aluminum, taller windshield, brighter helm area, and the deluxe chairs. Love this boat! :goodjob

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks Mega:

I was hoping you'd chime in. While I enjoy looking at the Express models, they are not a fit for our type of boating. I like the walks much better and the Marlin is the only one left that hovers around 30 ft.

I assume you have 300's on your 2017? I'm guessing your close to everyone else numbers-wise? 30 MPH, 3900-4000RPM, 1.2-1.3MPG? Have you eeked out 1.4 at all? Bottom paint may prevent achieving that.

We are targeting an '18 or maybe a '19. Our dealer says he can get us in a 2019 for a tad less than an '18. We'll see.

Glad to hear about the taller windshield and I dig the deluxe helm chairs with the flip-up bolsters.

We are jazzed for sure. I have always loved the Marlin and before I get too old we want our turn.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have not yet been offshore due to wx and recent hand surgery but we have taken some 20m cruises down the ditch and the Cape Fear river. As with my 2004, I like to run 4700 when conditions permit. That would do 27 kts with the 225s but with 300s that will get to 32-33 kts. This is with no bottom paint and full load of fuel.

The 2004 was close to perfect yet GW still found some improvements. If you cruise at sunset you will love the cockpit and underwater lights. Many plastic items are now SS. The upper box doors are really nice. The windless has foot switches. The curtains use Strataglass. Megabytes 3 is loaded with almost all options except for the TV package. I also went with dual 14" TZTouch, 6ft array, autopilot, and icom 504 VHF.

You will love the boat!

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
PS:

To get 1.3 mpg I can run around 28 kts. IIRC this is around 4-4200 RPM. Consider the GW promos. I ordered mine during the GG days and save $5K beyond the dealer price. It runs until 11/7.
We had a spring delivery in April.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
All sounds great!

RE: Options

I planned on the underwater & cockpit lights. Heck my 232 doesn't have shorepower so I rarely burned lights sitting dockside. I like to read in the cabin at night so I have a light in there and I always worry about draining the batteries.

Stainless is a no brainer; this is good news. (I wish they would solidify those plastic triangular fold-out windows forward of the helm & passenger seats. I broke one once on my Seafarer and have been gun-shy about using them ever since. Besides, I would likely forget they're open and jab my leg going forward on the walkaround.)

Foot switches on the windlass? Sign me up! I just have the helm control on the Gulfstream and nothing at the bow. I have wanted countless times to be able to deploy/retrieve the anchor & rode from the bow.

RE: Fuel Burn
Thanks for the burn numbers. Sounds in the ballpark of all of them with 300's and it's acceptable. Take care and rehab your hand so you can enjoy that thing.

Thanks for your input. You are "All things Grady." Hoping your 2018 is good & I'll keep you looped in on my purchase.

frisco

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have 2008 grady white 300 marlin with twin 350s and absolutely love them no issues . We go to canyons, block Island, Martha Vinyard, at cruising speed 35-40. As long as you take care of engines they are very good. When it comes time to repower the new 350sre going back on it Marlin is a heavy boat and the 350s push it beautifully would highly recommend.

Last edited: