330 - Refinish cabin floor?

Bayhouse

My teak and holly floor is pretty beat up and I wonder if anyone has refinished theirs and have some tips/tricks for the job? I've searched and only found reference that the T&H may only be a veneer which means sanding/refinishing may be out of the question. If there is no option, i may just order Sea Deck to go over the top.

Fishtales

It is a veneer with a plywood base. You can try to lightly sand and refinish (not sure why you wouldn't as you can always pull up). I believe it is bonded to the fiberglass floor and you can get it out if needed.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
That would be a shame to cover that beautiful wood. Usually that enhanced veneer is thick enough for at least a couple of judicious sandings.

Motivator

Due to delamination, I had to remove mine. Was a labor intensive job. Replaced with a more substantial piece that we epoxied on the sides and bottom to hopefully prevent another episode of delamination. Boat is a Sailfish 282.

Aquanut2

I'm interested in what everyone recommends using, your advise and the steps / material I should use to refinish my floor? Is Epiphanes clear varnish the best product? How many coats? after sanding is there anying I could put down first to restore the wood and color?
Thanks
Mike

glacierbaze

I think the finish you use would need to be compatible with the finish that is on there, unless you sand it down to bare wood.

Aquanut2

Thanks I am going to sand the whole thing and put 5 plus coats of Epifanes Clear Varnish down. Found a lot of info on how to do it by cutting it 50 - 50 with mineral spirits. Will post the results back here for other's benefits.

glacierbaze

Be careful using mineral spirits. They make an odorless version now, but it may just mask the danger of breathing the VOCs, rater than eliminating them.

O

oliver305

You should lightly sand and use TotalBoat varnish, I have been looking for the varnish that has a perfect balance between tint and gloss, and I finally found it in this product.