330 verses 360

Jim Martin

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hello boys and girls. I have hundreds ans hundreds of hours in my 330. My partner, of 25 years or so, decided to leave boating. I should have bought him out, but didn't, and am now paying the price. You know I loved my 330 but I have seen a couple of 360's that have caught my eye. My 300 Yamaha's were bullet proof in my 330. The 360's have 350's?? Boy have I heard stories about that. Also stories that the 360 boat, although a sea view 2 doesn't go through the water like the 330. In my 330, straight into a 3-4 foot chop, 4200 RPM on the pilot, no one even came close. I wasn't running hard, the boat just ate up the seas. Now down hill with a quartering sea, that requires all the attention you have.

I am looking at 330's that have the full enclosed helm, but again I have heard stories about them, the big, one piece windshield. CRACKING? And of course these boats have the 350's. So far you either like the 350's or they are no good. 300's on the 330 got me about 1 mile per gallon at 4200. Got less at 3700. I have read the 360's with trip 250's do not get that? Twin 350's ??. The 360 is appealing for might makes right, especially in a sea, but the 330 is a tough act to follow! This will be my last boat, in my 80's so I got to get it right! Any insight you can impart will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Jim

seasick

Reaction score
I would not consider 350s. Although others may disagree, for me are a show stopper.

I don't fully understand your dilemma. Do you own the 330 or is it in both names? Maybe that's none of my business:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Same here. They say they solved the problems, but for that much jing and Yamaha's history of not standing behind their products, I'd stay away. I'm sure some will chime in with other opinions....

Jim Martin

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I would not consider 350s. Although others may disagree, for me are a show stopper.

I don't fully understand your dilemma. Do you own the 330 or is it in both names? Maybe that's none of my business:)
Nah, we sold it, should have bought him out

seasick

Reaction score
OK, sorry about that. Good luck with your search

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I’ve had both. My 33 had twin 225’s and my 360 had trip 250’s. I’m not a fan of the 350’s and would not want it with twin 350’s. My trip 250’s cruised at .8 MPG @ 4500 RPM and 30 MPH all day regardless of load.

if I was buying one today the trip 300’s would be my choice (unless buying new). I never wanted or needed more power than I had with the 250’s.

it’s a fantastic boat. Used about 25% more fuel and expenses matched that as well. Super comfortable, great to fish, and rides understandably better than the 33 in rough stuff (but the 33 was a beast too).

having said that IMO all but the most dedicated are unlikely to go out in the 36 in conditions they would not take the 33 out in. I just don’t think the difference will change your mind. It’s more comfortable for sure but not a game changer. The 36 is like a 33 on steroids. It’ll do everything a little better but won’t turn a common person into an NFL athlete. Loved the boat for sure and if you can find one you are happy with you can’t go wrong.

Reactions: everwhom

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I've never been on a 36, so I can't comment on that.

I have typed this many times and still stand by it. The 2018 350's that are on my Marlin are the finest engines I have ever owned. I would by another set tomorrow if I need them.
The tainted reputation is justifiably caused by the earlier models that had a plethora of problems, not the least of which were the flywheels. The specifics of the problem are as follows:
If said 350 engine is run for more than 80 hrs between 3500-4300RPM, it causes some harmonic balance action that can potentially be damaging to certain engine parts. Therefore, Yamaha has set up a computer software option that flashes an "Alarm" on the gauge notifying the Pilot to get the wheels swapped.

Keep in mind that if you troll for hours or run above 4300 a lot, it will take years to get to that 80 hr mark.

It is an admitted nuisance value to have to screw with it, but for whatever reason, it doesn't bother me. I take the boat to the Dealer, have lunch while it's being swapped and go on with my life.

I certainly would NOT purchase a boat with the earlier 350's, so I agree with others on that. Mine are the 2018 Series #C engines which are astounding. Waaay better than the 300's on the Marlin hull, and I have piloted Marlins with both options.

The flywheels are a free replacement item by Yamaha and it takes not much more than an hour to swap them out I believe, although not certain, that the warranty on the wheels are transferable.

I think Yamaha has discontinued the 350's, likely because of all the problems.

seasick

Reaction score
I was expecting you to chime in:). I am aware that the third generation of the 350 is a vast improvement.
It is just hard to get over the stigma of the early models.

The 350 model has been discontinued and the replacement as far as I know is the 425 SHO

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I was expecting you to chime in:). I am aware that the third generation of the 350 is a vast improvement.
It is just hard to get over the stigma of the early models.

The 350 model has been discontinued and the replacement as far as I know is the 425 SHO
Agreed. That's why I always mention I wouldn't buy the earlier ones either.

So it has been formally discontinued? I though so.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
So I really have no business in this thread as a 228 owner. I did come close to buying a new Marlin and I ride in my buddy's Canyon 271 all the time. So some bigger boat experience but not really.

I'll tell you what I told my buddy with the 271 - he keeps lusting after a Canyon 336. We're on the Pacific, Northern California, can be a bit rough, pretty normal to be 6'@9s and we're fishing (it's 15@9 right now outside Half Moon Bay, that's a tad rough).

We fish in his 271 in conditions that are pretty shitty and not really fun. The boat is nowhere near its limits, it could handle much rougher conditions. So if he upgraded, yeah, we could go out in even _more_ crappy conditions but none of us want that.

I don't see why you would go up to 360, the 330, from all reports, is a fantastic boat. The 360 seems like it is slightly better but likely will have early 350s with all the problems that they have. I'd be looking for a new partner and a nice used 330 with 300s or trip 250s.

Whatever you do, I'll be happy to get on your boat and "review" it :cool:
Good luck!

Jim Martin

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’ve had both. My 33 had twin 225’s and my 360 had trip 250’s. I’m not a fan of the 350’s and would not want it with twin 350’s. My trip 250’s cruised at .8 MPG @ 4500 RPM and 30 MPH all day regardless of load.

if I was buying one today the trip 300’s would be my choice (unless buying new). I never wanted or needed more power than I had with the 250’s.

it’s a fantastic boat. Used about 25% more fuel and expenses matched that as well. Super comfortable, great to fish, and rides understandably better than the 33 in rough stuff (but the 33 was a beast too).

having said that IMO all but the most dedicated are unlikely to go out in the 36 in conditions they would not take the 33 out in. I just don’t think the difference will change your mind. It’s more comfortable for sure but not a game changer. The 36 is like a 33 on steroids. It’ll do everything a little better but won’t turn a common person into an NFL athlete. Loved the boat for sure and if you can find one you are happy with you can’t go wrong.
Thank you so much. That is the exact information I was looking for.

Jim Martin

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
So I really have no business in this thread as a 228 owner. I did come close to buying a new Marlin and I ride in my buddy's Canyon 271 all the time. So some bigger boat experience but not really.

I'll tell you what I told my buddy with the 271 - he keeps lusting after a Canyon 336. We're on the Pacific, Northern California, can be a bit rough, pretty normal to be 6'@9s and we're fishing (it's 15@9 right now outside Half Moon Bay, that's a tad rough).

We fish in his 271 in conditions that are pretty shitty and not really fun. The boat is nowhere near its limits, it could handle much rougher conditions. So if he upgraded, yeah, we could go out in even _more_ crappy conditions but none of us want that.

I don't see why you would go up to 360, the 330, from all reports, is a fantastic boat. The 360 seems like it is slightly better but likely will have early 350s with all the problems that they have. I'd be looking for a new partner and a nice used 330 with 300s or trip 250s.

Whatever you do, I'll be happy to get on your boat and "review" it :cool:
Good luck!
Wel, probably because I am never satisfied and as I advance in age a softer ride is so much better on the old bones. I know all about the weather. A 5/15 day is almost like flat calm for me, out of HMB. Trouble is for the last few years I had to punch into it going out and then, just for kicks, the damn weather turned around and I had to punch into it again going home. Go figure. Thank you for your input. I went blue fin last year. I have a step counter on the cell phone and it showed I walked almost 5 miles!. And being retired I can always go tomorrow!

Jim Martin

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've never been on a 36, so I can't comment on that.

I have typed this many times and still stand by it. The 2018 350's that are on my Marlin are the finest engines I have ever owned. I would by another set tomorrow if I need them.
The tainted reputation is justifiably caused by the earlier models that had a plethora of problems, not the least of which were the flywheels. The specifics of the problem are as follows:
If said 350 engine is run for more than 80 hrs between 3500-4300RPM, it causes some harmonic balance action that can potentially be damaging to certain engine parts. Therefore, Yamaha has set up a computer software option that flashes an "Alarm" on the gauge notifying the Pilot to get the wheels swapped.

Keep in mind that if you troll for hours or run above 4300 a lot, it will take years to get to that 80 hr mark.

It is an admitted nuisance value to have to screw with it, but for whatever reason, it doesn't bother me. I take the boat to the Dealer, have lunch while it's being swapped and go on with my life.

I certainly would NOT purchase a boat with the earlier 350's, so I agree with others on that. Mine are the 2018 Series #C engines which are astounding. Waaay better than the 300's on the Marlin hull, and I have piloted Marlins with both options.

The flywheels are a free replacement item by Yamaha and it takes not much more than an hour to swap them out I believe, although not certain, that the warranty on the wheels are transferable.

I think Yamaha has discontinued the 350's, likely because of all the problems.
I don't usually run over 4300 but troll for hours on end. The weather here doesn't allow for running too often. I am usually punching into it at 15 KTS or so especially going out. Thank you for your input

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’d stick with the 330. I can’t imagine the 360 is that much of a game changer when you compare the 2. Also, I’d rather have twins than trips. I’m repowering my 04 with v8 verado 300’s. Boat is only rated for 600hp but I’d really love it with twin 400v10 mercy that just came out. I think those are perfect for this boat.

Reactions: PlannedOutage

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
330 vs 360 could be more about layout, available features and options than about size. I would think the 360 is much bigger than the 330 in terms of volume.

Regarding the F350s, as I understand it the "C" Series are 100% fine other than the flywheel, which isn't a big deal. That being said, if it has 350s, it needs to be discounted.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
If I were looking in that range, I'd open up to other options. A Carolina Classic or Cabo would be on my list. I think GWs are solid small boats. Unfortunately they take the same design compromises and defects to the 33/33/36 and beyond. If greater than 35' I wouldn't even consider a GW.

Jim Martin

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
330 vs 360 could be more about layout, available features and options than about size. I would think the 360 is much bigger than the 330 in terms of volume.

Regarding the F350s, as I understand it they are 100% fine other than the flywheel, which isn't a big deal. That being said, if it has 350s, it needs to be discounted.
Thanks for your imput

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Thanks for your imput
I just made an edit: The "C" Series F350s are 100% fine (supposedly) other than the flywheel issue.

The "C" Series doesn't have the exhaust manifold issue and the retainer ring on the crank was redesigned to have a chamfered edge on the ends.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just made an edit: The "C" Series F350s are 100% fine (supposedly) other than the flywheel issue.

The "C" Series doesn't have the exhaust manifold issue and the retainer ring on the crank was redesigned to have a chamfered edge on the ends.
Again, I can't speak for any 350's but my own, but my "C" Series have been flawless through 300+ hrs. I have had two flywheels replaced and I find that while that is being performed, it's a great time to get a grouper sandwich.