About to replace GPS.. C-Map, Navionics or Garmin ??

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have alwys used Garmin GPS and have been happy with them and their charts.
I am about to update a unit and was considering units which use other chart Vendors..
Is there any real difference between the 3 systems ??
Anyone have any strong opinions ??
Thanks,
Rory

TunaT

Reaction score
GPS

Rory,
I assume your bouncing around the Chesapeake Bay with that location listed....Before one says one unit is better then another...let me ask how soon do you need the unit? Example, the Annapolis boat show in the water is soon if I remember right and if you can wait til Feb....the Ocean City Show...Baltimore etc. I'll say C-map technology...what unit are you going to be running it on? have you decided on the make of GPS?

catch22

Reaction score
I prefer Garmin. Very user friendly, (imo).
Some of the navionics charts seem to have very small text print, (depths, wrecks, info, etc) atleast on smaller, 5 inch units. Zooming in does not help. It's probably not an issue with larger units, but even with smaller Garmins, the charts seem easier to read.

I just installed a 4212, (12" display) bundle this past summer. Pretty simple set up... everything is networked, (radar, depth finder, XM sat) except for the gps antennna, that was hard wired nmea 0183. The G2 charts are awsome.

LI Grady

Reaction score
I've been very happy with the Navionics chart used in my Lowrence GlobalMap 5000C. Its great offshore and inshore. Offshore when rifting for shark it was spot on....if the chart plotter showed us going over a drop off a fast look to the fishfinder confirmed it.

Lowrences customer service is another issue, but Navionics is a great product and when I called them with a set up question they answered on the 2nd ring.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: GPS

TunaT said:
Rory,
I assume your bouncing around the Chesapeake Bay with that location listed....Before one says one unit is better then another...let me ask how soon do you need the unit? Example, the Annapolis boat show in the water is soon if I remember right and if you can wait til Feb....the Ocean City Show...Baltimore etc. I'll say C-map technology...what unit are you going to be running it on? have you decided on the make of GPS?

No hurry to buy.. As I said I have used Garmin but they have their own proprietary charts.. What I would like is a chart that shows navaids at larger scale. My boat came equipped with a lowrance chartplotter circa 2005.. I tried the Navionics charts and it was brutally slow in course up mode.. Actually unusable. I have the Lowrance charts that came with it but they are poor in my opinion.
I talked to their support but they indicated that was as good as it gets..
As I said. Garmin has been good for reliability, charts and great online support. I will be staying away from Lowrance.. I think their strong suit is fishfinders. I would probably keep the Lowrance unit as a discrete fishfinder. As for unit.. I am looking at Furuno.. I get the feeling that Raymarine is pricey and no better than anything else.. Furuno is used alot here by the watermen but that may be that they are a known marine electronics name. I am starting to see more Garmin equipment being used. They integrate radar and weather like anyone else at this point

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
catch22 said:
I prefer Garmin. Very user friendly, (imo).
Some of the navionics charts seem to have very small text print, (depths, wrecks, info, etc) atleast on smaller, 5 inch units. Zooming in does not help. It's probably not an issue with larger units, but even with smaller Garmins, the charts seem easier to read.

I just installed a 4212, (12" display) bundle this past summer. Pretty simple set up... everything is networked, (radar, depth finder, XM sat) except for the gps antennna, that was hard wired nmea 0183. The G2 charts are awsome.

That is the way I was leaning.. 4210 or 4212

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've been using Raymarine E series for a few years now(before was Northstar) and i'm very happy with them , easy to use and very clear picture. I also think they have one of the best digital fishfinders. Furuno are great too, but a lot of people/dealers tell me they are not that user friendly.

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
Garmin

I run the Garmin 4212 on my boat an LOVE the unit....I use it as chartplotter only though. I run The Furuno 1834C NavNet2 for radar and have the DFF1 digital fish finder on the Furuno as well. Love the setup and IMHO very easy to use!!

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
I just got a set of garmin 4212's for the new boat, we'll see how is going to work out.

The new boat? Since the 330 is listed for sale, would you be talking about a new new boat? :D

on edit: I just read your last post on the classifieds. Congrats on the 336 !!