ACR PLB vs InReach Mini

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
looking at buying one of the two. the ACR (depending on model) is about $100 more but has no subscription fee. the garmin has subscription fees but also has messaging ability. the ACR has 24-28 hours of battery life when activated. the InReach has up to 90 hours of battery when 10 minute tracking and can send messages. is it easy to turn on/off the garmin subscription or a pain?

i will probably only carry it maximum 3-5 times a year (couple off shore trips in the summer, and a couple back country hiking trips in fall/winter).

what do you have
why do you like it
why didnt you pick the other

(note, i do already have a SH handheld radio with GPS SOS feature, but i wouldnt have that clipped on to me and wouldnt take it backpacking)

Last edited:
Reactions: jip40

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
PLB is best as an emergency signaling device. Direct to CG no middle man. As retired USCG pilot, takes the search out of search and rescue! Down side is no non-emergent message capability. Upside No subscription required. I do mostly coastal so in reach is no better than my cell phone. I carry ACR PLB.

Reactions: Ekea

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
going PLB. time to decide which exact one

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have an ACR PLB. I cannot say anything good or bad about it as I have never needed to use it. Just glad I have it.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have an ACR PLB that I got when I was sometimes running my 20' wellcraft offshore. It is the best low cost choice.

When I got the Grady 265 I started doing overnights in the canyons. I got an EPIRB.

After a few seasons it became clear that an INReach would be very useful.

I got an Inreach explorer SE+. I get the minimum level and turn it off from Dec to May. You can tell people "I'm staying out", I'm coming back early", I should be back just after dark"...
Then calling people to a bite or being called to a bite became possible.
The new Inreach mini would talk to my Garmin MFD... I'm considering upgrading because that big screen would make using it much easier.

Inreach is by far the most useful but I would not sub it for the Epirb. The PLB is in the ditch bag.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Carry an EPIRB, a PLB, and an InReach. All have different purposes. Hope to never need the first two, but the last one I plan to use for communicating with buddy boats offshore.

Reactions: B-Shell

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Carry an EPIRB, a PLB, and an InReach. All have different purposes. Hope to never need the first two, but the last one I plan to use for communicating with buddy boats offshore.
^^This. We are 50-70 miles offshore. I have a SpotX, EPRIB and PLB. Last two for emergency. SpotX for comms with preset messages...you get 10 and can customize them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have an ACR PLB. I cannot say anything good or bad about it as I have never needed to use it. Just glad I have it.
Same here. I have a EPIRB and and a PLB onboard, never needed. Test every year though. Batteries are not cheap!

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Reactions: wspitler

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
The batteries will be cheap, but replacing should be done by a technician.

Cost for replace battery is between 100 and 200$, depending on the ACR PLB and place.

Chris
thanks. i kind of wish that there were mor locations in general. it would be nice if they had a service contract with REI or west marine (or some sort of widely spread chain). there is nothing coastal between the northern coast of NJ and mid coast NC. there is baltimore, but who wants to drive into baltimore. also, they are not coastal.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
thanks. i kind of wish that there were mor locations in general. it would be nice if they had a service contract with REI or west marine (or some sort of widely spread chain).
I did a short google search and some popped up, you may try that.

Sure it would be possible to do it DYI, but honestly on safety gear my life may rely on I prefer to pay the extra price and have it done by a pro.

Chris

Fishtales

Reaction score
how much are the batteries?
to be honest I cannot remember. The EPIRB is prob 1/2 the cost of a new one. The PLB, was a custom battery. I took it apart and bought the cells. I soldered them together along with the nickel straps, wiring and connector off the one that came with it. I think the cost is nuts for what you are really paying for. The issue is the batteries are Lion so if you incorrectly stack the cells or over heat the battery you could be in big trouble. Lucky my dad taught me how to solder pipes and electronics as a kid!

Reactions: glacierbaze

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Definitely get the prewired pack in the link earlier. it just plugs in...
The hardest part was digging out the sealant over the one screw.

There is a gasket that you don't want to damage. I suppose ACR is probably replacing the gasket too.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That's good that they offer them now and the price is decent. I'd go that route for $30. It was stupid money in the past.