Add an electric operated antenna mount

Cap'n Pete

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
My dealer has suggested that I add a motor mount to my Freedom 325 to raise and lower the radio antenna. Have any had this experience with a motor operated antenna system?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Is this for your VHF radio? The only raising and lowering of my antenna is for bridges and I have to climb out and do it.

Cap'n Pete

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
For the VHF. Same reason. Bridges. Also, sometimes I "forget" to put up the antenna at the marina. Climbing out on the Freedom 325 is awkward to say the least.
This subject first came up because it is absolutely impossible to put up the anchor light on my 2019 Freedom 325 without climbing up on the hardtop! Much dialog to GW factory on this. The latest version (2024) has this fixed! So, my brain lumps the two issues into one. How to raise a hardtop mounted device without risking life and limb. This is the latest idea that has been proposed to me.

Cap'n Pete

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
P.S. Can't have either item up all the time as I store the boat in Dry Stack and the overhead clearance is low.

Cap'n Pete

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Had not found Atwood.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can you use a quick drop mount and just drop it down? I'm a KISS guy and having yet another motor on the boat isn't my first choice.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sorry but I think this is power antenna idea is silly. Is antenna performance really that important to you? Just put a short stainless wip antenna up instead. After breaking a few this is what I put up. A wip antenna has far better performance than a broken fiberglass one.

Last edited: