All Chain Marlin 300 Anchor

LastChance

Reaction score
Has anyone used all chain rode for their anchor on a Marlin 300? How much chain will fit in the anchor locker? Given our anchoring requirements in the Pacific Northwest, I am tempted to replace the current setup with all chain, but only if I can fit at least 200 feet in the locker.

Thanks for your help.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have 25 feet of chain and 300 feet or rode. I would recommend you ask Grady White customer service. I would bet they can give you the info you need to make the decision.

billyttpd

Reaction score
I think filling that anchor locker with chain would put way to much weight up in the bow. add some but all chain?? wow way to heavy

LastChance

Reaction score
billyttpd said:
I think filling that anchor locker with chain would put way to much weight up in the bow. add some but all chain?? wow way to heavy

You might be right. But 250' of 1/4" chain would weigh 188 lbs, which is not a huge amount.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing that weight might do is get you up on plane a little faster and plant the bow a little better in choppy seas. One can easily have to much weight in the rear, but it's rare to have too much in the bow - and, in my opinion, most boats can benefit from more weight in the bow.

reelserious

Reaction score
While I don't know the "anchoring requirements" for your area, I have had to cut an anchor loose before when it lodged under a rock, presumably. It was either that or lose a pulpit. If you think you need all chain for some reason, you better make sure you have a good set of bolt cutters onboard. I would also caution you when retrieving the anchor in any kind of seas/swells. When you get right over the anchor you better hope it comes loose very quickly or it may cost you a pulpit. There isn't going to be any give in the chain, while anchor line will stretch a little.

Good luck.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Great point from ReelSerious... I will be adding a snubber and will have a second anchor with small length of chain and long 1/2" rode as a backup...

I like the all chain idea as I'm not a fan of the spliced eye needed for the windlass, and more chain=more sleep! (unless you forget the snubber and you hear the rattling all night long....)