Anyone remove the helm seat from a 180 Sportsman?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
It's held to the down by 4 bolts that go through curved washers, through the pipe and into the deck.

I want to know what happens when they enter the deck? Are there captive nuts? Does it just screw into the subdeck (read plywood)?

I'd like to flip the entire seat 180˚ around to be able to better access a storage locker under the seat. The frame has a crossbar that faces the stern and prevents access. Rotating the seat would put it facing the console and allow easy access to the space under the seat.

thanks,

Rob
IMG_4308.JPG

Last edited:

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
No one? I know at least one of you has removed the seat, little help?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well... what happens when you try removing the screws? It seems this is probably a pretty easy one to answer for yourself :)

I mean, if they unscrew you have your answer... if they just spin, you have your answer.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
If I remove the screw and the nut drops off under the deck I'm screwed. Better to ask first.

Greatty

Reaction score
Have you tried reaching out to Grady? I would imagine they are 'captive nuts' but I've never attempted nor needed to remove mine. Is your 180 post 2006? My crossbar is forward (1999). I'm trying to remember what year they switched the crossbar orientation and why.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
My 180 is 2004, crossbar is in the rear. I called Grady but they were no help, said they couldn't be sure on a 20 year old boat.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If I remove the screw and the nut drops off under the deck I'm screwed. Better to ask first.
Not really. You're taking the seat off regardless so it doesn't matter. Besides, it won't fall right off - it would loosen and then just spin and spin. Maybe eventually the nut would vibrate off, though. But it's still kind of a moot point since you're taking it off, you know? Go for it! :)

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I am not taking it off regardless. It would be foolish to loosen without knowing the outcome first.

Reactions: Greatty

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I am not taking it off regardless. It would be foolish to loosen without knowing the outcome first.
OK, we're on different pages here. Your first post made it sound like this was a project you were definitely going to do.

When I do simple things like this, I'm ready to go and will figure it out on the fly. This is one of those things that's really easy to "just do". It doesn't really need much thought. But as I said, we're on different pages - and that's fine.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd try to take it off. It is likely thru bolted with a backing plate, You'll prob have to put an access plate strategically placed to allow mounting of whatever else your going to install. Life on a GW is a risky game, I'm with Dennis. Go for it.