Attaching redone bolsters and pads in cockpit

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I am redoing the bolsters and cockpit pads on My Grady Marlin. I was asked if I wanted tabs added to the bolster and pads with snaps on the bottom. This way I could avoid trying to drill screws back in through the weep holes. you would instead drill snap screws below the pads to snap I don't think it would work for the bolsters since they cover the whole side but the back pads would seem that it could be done. Has anyone done this or has other ideas on how to keep them secure?

Thanks for any thoughts.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The shop could sew in tabs (horizontally, sewn on both edges) with snaps that are hidden behind the bolster. Personal preference, I suppose, as to which way you want to go.

seasick

Reaction score
I know folks who just slide the bolsters into place and don't secure with screws. I put two screws in mine just to be sure that they wouldn't pop up when someone is leaning over the gunnels. The chances of getting the screws into the original holes is virtually zero, so plug the old ones and make new holes for the screws.

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Thanks for the input. Dennis- I had asked about going under or behind with the snap tab. They were against the idea. If there was no exposed side on the bottom, it wasn't worth it( in their opinion. Maybe I will just skip the tabs. What do people fill the holes with?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's strange that they were against hidden snaps. Was it because they had never done that before? The only downside I can think of, and it's not really that big of a deal, is the bottom edge might not fit flush to the gunwale side because of the snap.

Filling holes? Not a huge deal if you don't fill them at all. Any water that makes it behind the cushion and into the holes will just drip down onto the rod holder area... which is already an "open" area. Otherwise, you can pretty much do it any way you want it since they'll never be seen.

seasick

Reaction score
The original screw holes have exposed fiberglass in them. I just squeeze a bit of whatever I have 5200,4200, Life seal etc. I just don't gnat the holes to wick moisture.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Id skip the straps and snaps as you would have to add the other end. It would not only be tough, but you may have the screws protruding through to deal with. Just add a screw is my thought.