autopilot mounting for 265

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have a simrad ap16 in my 265 express for the past few seasons. I have had the computer replaced once d.t moisture problems and have since relocated it to my electronics box. I'm now having problems with the compass which will need to be replaced. The compass was originally mounted on the port bulkhead behind the box of drawers in the cabin. This was the same basic location that the computer was originally located. Is this a common mounting location for the compass? where did everyone else mount theirs? Looking for options at this point.

Capt Ertle

Reaction score
I have the same unit on my 265. the unit is two years old and i had the hyd pump go out (warranty) and most recently the unit just would not come on, after extensive seaching of why, it suddenly started working again.
On your question on where the compass is mounted, mine is in the same place as your, so far no problems, I keep a dehumidifier running on the boat in the cabin (boat is in Fl) and that really keeps everything in good shape as far as moisture.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
thanks capt. so far the pump has been the only thing I have not had a problem with . But i guess that means it will probably be next. According to my simrad dealer moisture shouldn't be a problem with the compass, so who knows. when my computer died, it startted as the unit would not come on sometimes, then it just would not come on all togeather. by far this simrad system has given me more headaches then any other electronic i have ever had on any boat.