bahama run questions

dale1

Reaction score
Greetings. I'm new to the 265 express, f-225s, with 580 hours.

Can the 265 safely and sucessfully make the run from the east coast of flordia to the bahamas? What are the basics?. where is the best location to depart from? Would you trust this trip with a 10 and 6 year old on board? What are the marinas or facilities like when you get there? Can we safely stay aboard when we get there? is the fishing as good as the tv shows make it out to be?

thanks,
dale :hmm

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Dale,
I am guessing since I ran over to the Abacos islands in my 228 that you can make it with a 265. I spent two weeks there and it was the biggest boat trip of my life. I look forward to going back.

The Bahamas are vast and as a result some places have great marinas and others have nothing. You could stay on the hook but you will need fresh water or the ability to make it. Each kid is different. When we went over we went with some friends who brought their 3 kids in their 30 foot center console. Their ages were the 6 to 13 range. They of course did not stay aboard. Two of my kids could tolerate the crossing one could if the seas stayed below 3 feet. That is the rub of the trip. We got stuck there because of an early tropical storm in June. While the 265 is a more capable boat than the 228 crossing the stream in 6 foot plus seas with kids does not sound fun. My friends stayed with us until the seas laid down and they had a 30 footer.

In short this is a great trip and I would do it again. it takes a little planning and typically June and July are safe bets for crossing. We had plans going to Bimini this year but due to school snow days and my youngest developing an epilepsy disorder as a result of puberty we are holding off until next year. My youngest cant be more than more than an hour away from medical care until he is 6 months seizure free with meds. So crossing is out of the question for him at this time. I would say do it. There are many others here who have more experience than I do. You can message me with any questions you may have.

ahill

Reaction score
A 265 is fine I have dozens of trips on my old 25 Mako cuddy and a number more on my 272 as well as friends boats. 1 friend would cross from Miami to Bimini in his 20' Sea craft all the time.
The keys are go in summer, June - Labor Day.
Memorial Day for some reason can be great or horrible.
Watch the weather especially the extended forecast for your planned return. Leave early each way to avoid afternoon storms.
You will need passports and also consider getting a local boater option registration for all on board makes clearing customs on your return a breeze.
After deciding your POE, prepping your boat, acquiring spare parts & supplies your biggest concern is to where to leave your tow vehicle & trailer.
For a first trip I'd suggest West End Freeport leaving from Palm Beach or Bimini leaving from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.
Matheson Hammock in S Miami is a County Park that locks the park down at sundown and has evening security patrols. Also has fuel, ice bait etc.I keep my boat at the County Marina in Homestead and it has the same scenario.
You could also check with The Grady Dealers in Riviera Beach and Pompano Beach for suggestions.
Perhaps a long term airport parking facility would work as well. There is a ramp and marina on Dania Cutoff Canal in Dania That my friends would use a lot a few years ago with no problems.
I made the crossing to Bimini one time with my grandkids at the time 11, 7 & 2 but they've been boaters since before birth. They have since gone on numerous trips in my son's boat with no ill effects.
We used to anchor out in Honeymoon Harbor but since it washed thru its only a day spot now.
If you want to stay on board you could go to Bimini Sands or Bimini Beach Club on S. Bimini. You can clear customs at the airport They have good websites too.
Fishing is fishing, you never know. Trolling is spotty but bottom & spear fishing are great. Take a lot of chum & squid fish any where from 30 out to the edge, deeper is generally better.
Your first trip will be a white knuckle event until you clear customs, after the first crossing everything settles down.
Finally, if the weather's bad on your planned return date, stay put, wait for a break and then come back, especially with kids.

gulfcoastangler

Reaction score
I also am looking to venture this trip for the first time hopefully this year. Some good replies that was helpful thank you even though this was not my discussion 8). One thing I would also do is contact a local grady dealer or fishing club. I have found there are many people in clubs that go together on trips which would be very helpful for a first timer. These cIubs have some very knowledgeable captains from what I have read. I would also make sure you have boat us or sea tow just in case. I have a long trip from west coast florida but I am on a 33 which will make for a easier trip but much more costly. I agree that tv shows makes it look awesome but it is tv and all the reality shows are far from reality. I hope it is worth the time and cost vs just going to southern fl. Have a great trip and a safe one

dale1

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Dale,
I am guessing since I ran over to the Abacos islands in my 228 that you can make it with a 265. I spent two weeks there and it was the biggest boat trip of my life. I look forward to going back.

The Bahamas are vast and as a result some places have great marinas and others have nothing. You could stay on the hook but you will need fresh water or the ability to make it. Each kid is different. When we went over we went with some friends who brought their 3 kids in their 30 foot center console. Their ages were the 6 to 13 range. They of course did not stay aboard. Two of my kids could tolerate the crossing one could if the seas stayed below 3 feet. That is the rub of the trip. We got stuck there because of an early tropical storm in June. While the 265 is a more capable boat than the 228 crossing the stream in 6 foot plus seas with kids does not sound fun. My friends stayed with us until the seas laid down and they had a 30 footer.

In short this is a great trip and I would do it again. it takes a little planning and typically June and July are safe bets for crossing. We had plans going to Bimini this year but due to school snow days and my youngest developing an epilepsy disorder as a result of puberty we are holding off until next year. My youngest cant be more than more than an hour away from medical care until he is 6 months seizure free with meds. So crossing is out of the question for him at this time. I would say do it. There are many others here who have more experience than I do. You can message me with any questions you may have.

Bob, It looks like the abacos islands are a much greater distance "than the closest island to FL east coast" did you go there because it better there?. Is it worth the additional time and money? The kids are not allowed on this trip:) I'm more worried about customs and being detained for a paperwork issue than anything. What about fuel cost over there? Do you remember where you kept your trailer here? thanks, dale
PS. we bring the motorcycle up to your neighborhood twice a year :)

dale1

Reaction score
ahill, thanks for the great info. Is the west end of freeport as nice as some of the other spots. we cruised there on cruise boat last year. It seemed really commerical, but we were only off the boat for a couple of hours? is the fishing good there? thanks, dale

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Dale I went to the Abacos in part because I was invited to join some other folks to buddy boat with them. One of the folks I went with is a member here. Due to the size of my boat I took advantage of the invite. Then again I ran at with a guy with a 330 and contender at 30 feet.

If I had a bigger boat I would head to the Exams. I have been there a few times always flying there. The water there is amazing. With that said I would love to run back to the Abacos again. Nice water and friendly people.The out islands do not have the after hours crime issues and the Abacos have many islands to explore. It is a wonderful adventure.

I want to go Bimini and maybe next year we can make it. Food is expensive there along with eveything else so if you go take as much as you can. Have spare parts like a prop and prop nuts and so forth. Have spare water pump impeller. Anyway, plan and it go!

Enough Already

Reaction score
For first-timers, check out the Bahamas flings, which are hosted group runs both ways with some discounts on the other side. Look it up on the Bahamas website. Very well planned out with a captains meeting, 10-15 boats crossing, gift bags, etc. Once there you are on your own until the scheduled return. Easy run for the 265, even in some pretty heavy seas. Wife and kids were great sitting on the beanbag chair at the stern last time in widely-spaced 6-8 foot seas on the return. Best time for crossing is June/July, which means it will be very hot. Unless you have AC on the boat, you will need to take advantage of the landside accommodations.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We've been to the Bahamas a number of times, though only once via our own boat. Like Smoky, we took it to Abaco after launching in Palm Beach. Personally, we would skip West End/Freeport/Lucaya and just push on further. That makes a long trip, though (6-8 hours at slow-mod cruise speed and with lunch/Customs).

Don't sweat the paperwork. It's easy, the people are very friendly and will help you through it. If you set up the Local Boater Option ahead of time, you clear back in the US by PHONE!

If I have the link right, here's a good place to check fuel and dockage prices:
http://www.explorercharts.com/index.php ... &Itemid=53

Here's a decent seas forecast to gauge the crossing:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 1&map.y=92

We used this marina's boat ramp and parking lot for the truck and trailer; reasonable fees:
http://www.lakeparkmarina.com/

Leave a day or two of flexibility on each end to be safe, but summer conditions are generally very safe. You won't find a weekend morning when you're leaving alone, even if you don't officially Buddy Boat. We had at least three boats in sight the whole crossing.

Do it! Have fun!

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We've run to Bimini, Walker's (now closed), Green Turtle (in Abacos), West End and Lucaya. Bimini is probably our favorite and Green Turtle was the nicest/cleanest. But Abacos is a long run for a first time crossing. There are some smaller places near Lucaya that don't feel so commercialized. Sunrise Resort and Marina is one such place.

If you do run from the Lake Worth (Palm Beach) Inlet, Lake Park Marina is a reasonably good place to leave your truck/trailer. I would not recommend leaving your truck at Light Harbor boat ramp and Phil Foster Park boat ramp is somewhere between the two.

If you go to Bimini, then we like Haulover Park boat ramp between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. There was security there last time we used it. If you do use this one, hug the east shore of the ICW as you approach Haulover Inlet.

You're likely going in summer. Suggest leaving at first light to take advantage of typically calm seas. Fishing can be good at any of these places, but summer can get pretty hot and the offshore action can slow.

If you can, download all the customs and immigration forms and fill them out before you go. Makes clearing in the Bahamas less of a hassle. The forms are incredibly archaic.

Last suggestion: Have a Plan B for weather. It may help you avoid making a bad decision if weather is marginal. For example, if running out of Palm Beach, have the phone number for Sailfish Marina handy. They have about 15 rooms at the marina, a stone's throw from the inlet. And the fishing can be pretty good here too. Or, if planning to run to Bimini and the weather sours, run down Biscayne Bay to the Keys. We've done that on two occasions when weather didn't cooperate.

Either way, hope you have a great time.

dale1

Reaction score
Man, these are really good posts back. I appreciate it. My wife is reading some, and now she does not think i'm as crazy as before. :)

I think we can pull this off. maybe no grand kids the first time, but there is so much expence i have to make the best of it.

thanks again,
dale

ahill

Reaction score
Freeport is about 20 miles East of West End.
Bootle Bay is a good motel to stay a few miles East of West End. Fishing is great bottom 30 - 60 plus you can run south toward the Isaacs and fish for tuna.
Wherever you go you'll have a blast.
Also checkout the old Runningmon marina in Freeport, renamed I think, but a great boaters place

dale1

Reaction score
I have one more concern that I'm ashamed to ask about. What about crime rates in the Bahamas? Is it a concern? Or is about the same as the states? Thanks dale

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
West End is the first spit of land you'll see on the crossing (in the Northern Bahamas, anyway). There's a yacht club and hotel and such, and it's a good place for a quick trip for fishing and such.

Like any other place, it pays to be diligent. However, at least in the outer Bahamas, there is VERY little crime. There have been some thefts of high-profile "go fast" center consoles in the last couple of years, but nothing to really worry about. We've stayed in several places in Abaco that had no locks on the doors. People leave bikes and other stuff outside their houses pretty regularly. Kind of a nice change from the States!

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dale: I'll echo what Grouper said. On a little and poor island like Bimini, I don't leave stuff unnecessarily exposed. On Green Turtle it was no concern. In neither place did we see any particular concern for our personal safety and certainly much less concern than I would have in many areas in south Florida.

Gas is very expensive in the Bahamas. And recommend you carry several spare fuel filters. Although it has never happened to us, we know of others who have gotten bad gas.

dale1

Reaction score
Thanks to all. Your helping me convince the wife. :). Still don't know if we should settle and stay close to freeport or move on further east?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Jumping in briefly here with a question I've asked before, but the more opinions, the better.

If we go to the Bahamas someday, I want to be able to anchor, wade ashore, snorkel, and swim. Are there restrictions that prevent that, as there are in the Tortugas?

dale1

Reaction score
Good question. Can we anchor and camp on the boat without restrictions?

Gary M

Reaction score
There are endless coves, bays, islets, etc where you can drop the hook and spend the night. Look for anchored sailboats! Using an anchor symbol, the good anchorages will be shown on your chart.

For your very first trip, it can't get any easier than running across from Palm Beach (56 nm) and staying at Old Bahama Bay in West End on Grand Bahama Island. We LOVE this place and have stayed aboard our 2001 30 Marlin countless times and even for an 18-night vacation! One of the nicest Marinas in de islands Mon!

We've done about 30 Bahamas trips in our three Gradys so we know the drill very well. Bimini, Freeport, OBB, all throughout the Abacos..... been doing that since 1997.

Your 265 is more than enough boat for the trip. Look to go in June-Aug for the best weather and the lightest winds. July would be optimal. Look for a wind forecast of 10-15 or less and seas of no more than 2-4. Early mornings both coming and going for the lightest winds. Look for East through West winds and stay away from anything with 'North' in it. That wind opposes the Gulf Strean flow and the waves will stack up.

I just got back from Bimini on Sunday and we paid $5.70/gallon. For anyone over there, try to never take on gas right after the fuel barge was there! Pumping a few thousand gallons into the fuel dock tank no doubt stirs up sediment in the fuel dock tank and you'd want to give that a day or more to 'settle'!

Buy any one of the Cruising Guides that are out there. All will have great info on just 'getting there'. The Abaco Guide by Steve Dodge is great if you are running to West End and a big one by Mathew Wilson for the Northern Bahamas will provide great info for running to Bimini.

Once you decide on your destination, buy a good quality chart of the area. Look at Waterproof Charts. These are great for familiarization, planning, etc but also as a back-up to your GPS/Chartplotter. For that unit, you will need the appropriate 'chip' to cover the northern Bahamas. They are about $300, but don't skimp!

Can't say enough about Old Bahama Bay!! OBB has everything right there! Customs, fuel, beach bar/restaurant, an awesome pool, stuff to keep the kids busy and happy, a great staff, a quiet and protected Marina basin, laundry facilities, dock showers, rest rooms, gift shop, etc, etc.

http://www.oldbahambay.com/home.aspx

Here a Report that I wrote up a few summers back when we stayed aboard our Grady at OBB over a busy July 4th weekend. This will give you an idea of what the place is like. The overall grounds are quite big. If you have Google Earth zoom down to see the layout. The photo they have on file is fairly old though.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?4972-OBB-West-End-July-4th-weekend!

With regards to crossing the open waters of the Gulf Stream, you and your family will need to understand that for most of the trip, you will be out of sight of land. That makes some people nervous. You'll want to keep your eyes peeled ahead of the boat as there are 'things' that are floating out there that you can run into! Boards, pallets, trash, etc.

Also, you may have to slow down at some time. Running 25 knots into 2-4s is easily doable in your boat, but throttling back to 19-20 knots may be a LOT better of a ride for you and your family! Keep in mind that will make the trip 'longer' but more comfortable! Unless you have less than 2 footers, you most likely will take spray...... especially running into any wind. That is NOT a big deal but make sure that your wipers work well, have fresh blades, etc.

There's also no shame in slowing down to 6-7-8 knots or so if it gets sloppy. You'll still get there and the island isn't going anywhere without you!

I won't write about Bimini right now, but if you decide that you ARE going there, I'll add some info. Been going there for 26 years and we made 4 Bimini trips the first summer that we had the HEY MON! We know it very well and I was there last weekend......