Batteries on a 2006 marlin 250 hp

offshore

Reaction score
not sure if i need new batteries. #1 batt 6 seasons old.
#2 at idle my gauges say 14.2v
#3 running at 4400 they say 13.5-13.6 is this normal
r there any signs i should look for. thanks everyone

lgusto

Reaction score
Sounds fine. Where are you located (latitude wise)? in Maine we wind up replacing every few years. Six years seems very old up here.

More importantly, why do you ask? Any problems starting?

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My boat is also a 2006 Mariln. Last year one of my batteries failed, another was not charging properly. In addition my charger was acting up so I decided to replace all four original Deka batteries and the original charger. Looking back the charger may have caused the batteries to fail or vise/versa.

As far as the voltage goes, I would be a little concerned. My stbd side is reads a little different than my port side (forget which side powers the electronics, gauges, etc), but this is only at idle. As soon as I increase the rpms the voltage increases (as the alternators produce more amperage) and pretty much reads the same 13.5-14.2 volts if memory serves me correctly. I am not certian of the exact numbers, but I am certian that the voltage reads higher as the rpms increase, not the other way around.

I would start with the simple things, check all connections on batteries, levels in batteries, connections at engines, etc. If nothing is obvious, I would then check each battery individually for voltage. I suspect after six years your batteries may bee showing signs of their age (mine certainly did). I decided to replace all four as I head offshore for ovrenight canyon trips and getting jumped is not an easy option for us.

Keep us posted.

offshore

Reaction score
thx my starboard bank dips to 9.6v when starting. they also dip below 12v when lifting my engines. port side a little better. starboard feeds all house and electroincs.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Marlin and my batteries are on the edge of needing replacing. I would load test them all. Also check for corrosion on the terminals, and clean up battery selector switch connections.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Mine is a 2006 and my batteries were load tested ok. All orig.

bhemi

Reaction score
I just change mine every 5 years. Saves the hassle of crappy batteries and failure. I changed two batteries one year and the next two the following year. Maxium life is maybe 7. Take them and use them in a less critical application or trade them in.