Batteries

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I need to replace the batteries in my 2007 Marlin 300. Suggestions for the best option?
Thanks

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Many good brands out there but I'm partial to Deka batteries. My 2004 Marlin had 4 Deka's that never failed me. I replaced them in 2010 with identical Dekas to be on the safe side. One of those original batteries is still in use at our hunting camp powering a fresh water pump. The solar panel charger keeps it fresh and it shows no sign of quitting.

East Penn is the manufacturer and produces identical batteries under various retail brands including West Marine. Most of the boat dealers in my area carry Deka and prices are competitive.

bc282

Reaction score
I'd look out for Cabelas' sale on their AGM batteries. They go on sale and combined with free to cheap shipping deals, you can get a great battery AND shipped.
From what i've seen, Cabelas usually discounts the batteries around $30-50 each on their sales.

Sears Odyssey AGM's have good regard as do Deka AGMs, and Lifeline AGM's.

In general, i think AGM's over flooded wet cell are better for boats. You'd get more bang for your buck with wet cells if you make sure they always have adequate water levels and are kept charged up, but too often we don't check or monitor them enough to get the max life from wet cells IMO (i MAY check mine once a year only! when they die will switch to AGMs). AGM's by design are generally more robust in construction more suitable for bouncy boat conditions and require much less maintenance, have a much slower rate of discharge when idle, no fluids to spill or fill, can be mounted sideways, but are generally more expensive than wet cells, but should last longer than a wet cell since they don't require much if any maintenace other than charging.

Slacktime

Reaction score
Hi g0tagrip, I needed to replace all 4 batteries on my 03 Marlin. I used 4 Group 29 deep cycle batteries because I wanted to be able to run things whan I am away from shore power. They are slightly larged than the stock battery trays so you will have to replace those, but it was worth the effort. The difference to a starting battery is that they do not have as much CCA (cold cranking amperage) capacity. But CCAs are for winter starting a car that's left out all night and who goes boating in the frigid weather anyway? I posted two links on the subject. I got mine at WALMART of all places. Best price. You can also get them at Autozone. I have been usoing them for two yeqrs now and they are absolutely trouble free.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Max ... y/20531539

http://www.marinedeepcycle.com/lineup.html

Good luck, Slacktime

bc282

Reaction score
not all "Marine" deep cycle batteries are built equal.
Rare do get a glimpse of what is under the plastic casing to see the guts of a battery, but better batteries are simply built much more robust with heavier duty plates to with stand the vibration and pounding a battery can take on the water.

Try google searching images of battery internals and when batteries fail, you'll see plates with material missing and becoming "sludge" on the bottom, eventually killing that cell or shorting out the cell and killing the battery.

Unfortunately, heavier/thicker plates means less plates and less surface area for same physical size, so most will have lesser CCA and reserve ratings than a typical battery of same size not intended for boat use.

As much as i like good deals, price is not everything. I'd pick a battery with tried and true field tested results--the brands i've listed earlier have stood up well.

In a last minute pinch, i went to Costco and bought 3 group 24 deep cycle batteries to replace my boat batteries (West Marine brand) as one had failed and were 4 years old at that point and we needed to get fishing. The costco deep cycles lasted less than one short season. I think they died due to vibration/pounding, two batteries registered just 4.5v or less (about less than 10v and a 12v battery is pretty much dead!). Thank goodness for Costco's return policy.