Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks, I hate welding unintentionally

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've done it in the driveway in a test drum, can't imagine doing it offshore. Once you get past the initial compression stroke it's not too bad, like pushing a blocking dummy.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Tucker said:
I've done it in the driveway in a test drum, can't imagine doing it offshore. Once you get past the initial compression stroke it's not too bad, like pushing a blocking dummy.

Got it - makes sense. Thanks.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I've made it a habit after and between use to have a pair of battery tender Jr's hooked up.
If I'm not using the boat, they're on. Doing this I get rediculous life out of my batteries.
7+ years. I'm also a stickler on clean wiring connections which are 90% of a boat or any vehicles electrical issues.
Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
trapper said:
Harpoon, replace the wing nuts with lock nuts, never a loose battery connection again. Cheers, trapper :D
Absolutely agree!
Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Harpoon said:
Indeed, that is a good idea.... why don't I do that, I must ponder a bit. There are advantages to quick easy removal without a metal/conductive wrench..... I've had to pass batteries boat to boat in 3-4's to assist those who didn't pay attention a couple times LOL....
Use the lock nuts so you don't have an issue and carry a jump starter as a plan B for yourself or the next guy. That way your not disabling your boat to help someone else.
...And back at the dock if your vehicle or your guests won't start, do you want to yank a boat battery out for that?
Jump starters work great and are a lot less hassle than carrying batteries or juggling cars around to give a jump. Keep it in your vehicle and make it part or your trip bag to carry on board.
May just keep a small headache from turning into a migraine.
(But you do have to charge it once in awhile)
:wink:

tumblr_inline_n4s739EFDO1rfh4d2.jpg

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lt.Mike said:
I've made it a habit after and between use to have a pair of battery tender Jr's hooked up.
If I'm not using the boat, they're on. Doing this I get rediculous life out of my batteries.
7+ years. I'm also a stickler on clean wiring connections which are 90% of a boat or any vehicles electrical issues.
Mike

Do you use the battery tender eyelet permanent hookup or the alligator clips? I tried the tenders last winter with the alligator clips and got considerable corrosion. I was thinking of installing the 2-prong hookup and leaving them on the batteries all the time and plug the tenders in when I pull the boat for the winter.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I use the alligator clips. While I do use the boat in saltwater I trailer it so it's stored in my backyard. No salt air to contend with in storage. If you have a corrosion issue battery tender sells a charger for wet environments and all connections can be packed with white molly or silicone grease. I did ruin one battery tender by forgetting to close the hatch and it was rained on. As screw ups go that wasn't too costly ($28).
I've also had mine hooked up all winter. Using a battery tester, the same used by auto parts stores both batteries are 100%. Not bad for 7 years.
As for my motorcycles and tractors where it's a PITA to get to the batteries I do use the bolt on connectors. For the bikes it also provides a power source for GPS and heated vests.
Mike

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
https://no.co/genm2 Have had one of these on board for 3years. Plugged in while at home. Inexpensive and works great. Also recommend, if purchasing a portable charger, get one with a air pump built in. Have topped up tires that needed it after sitting for some time in the boat house and I take it on the road when hauling the boat. Some fairly remote areas where we travel. Cheers trapper

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Jump pack is a great tool. My marina has a couple on hand they loan out for when you leave something on and run batteries dead. Unfortunately, battery removal usually occurs at sea to help someone nearby that is stranded.