Battery Charger gone bad

Ken Johnson

Reaction score
I own a GW 282 Sailfish. 2005 with twin Yamaha 225 4 strokes. My Guest Battery charger model 2622-D is not working properly. One lead gives 14.5 Volts (too high) and the other bank puts out 13.5V (correct). I'm told the charger cannot be repaired and needs to be replaced. I can't find that model anywhere on line. I'm told I need to buy it from my GW dealer and that it will cost $400+. Has anyone had any experience with these things and any advice about replacing it with the dealer model or something else just as good and not so expensive...
Ken

RDCGrady

Reaction score
Battery Charger

I have a 283 release that was not ordered with the onboard charging system. I was thinking about adding an onboard charger and phoned the guest charger people (www. Marinco.com) and found them to be very helpful. They can tell you what you will need for your system and I'm sure it will be less expensive than purchasing through your dealer.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9238

Pro Mariner makes a decent charger and I believe is the one most have recommended to replace the Guest one with. My Guest has been replaced once when we purhcased our boat by the previous owner on delivery, it is 2 seasons old and acting up already, I would avoid them honestly. Guest chargers are a cheap bottom of the line charger and do not last long. Charles, newmar and xantrex are better quality then the pro mariner, but will cost more. Where I work we build high end sportfishermen and have used the previous 3 brands and were very pleased but have since gone to mastervolt chargers, they are very high end and very expensive, but also very sophisticated. Not nessecary on a boat our size. I plan to replace my guest with a xantrax or charles charger, but the pro mariner is not far behind due to simplicity and price. Xantrex is my top pick but not positive I have the space, a Charles C-Charger would fit and might end up as my replacement...still doing some research though, might be some new chargers by spring. As for installation, it is not overly difficult if you are somewhat handy and can follow directions provided. ...Make sure the power is off first, and I'd recommend personally disconnecting the batteries and shore power as well to be safe.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Look at the Promariner ProTournament 200 or 300.

http://www.promariner.com/Chargers.php

The ProTournament has longer battery leads than the ProSport and would be an easier install. On my Islander I removed the old charger wiring then installed the new charger. The battery leads are pre-assembled.

Its not complicated work but you will need to pull all the batteries out.

Cost wise you won't save much - you'll spend $300 plus your time to install it - but you will have a better battery charger.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I replaced my Guest after the voltage regulator on my generator blew it out. At the time I called Guest and they were very accomodating even though the problem was not related to their product. I suggest you try calling them and explain the situation. check how long your warranty is etc. You may be surprised but if not, nothing lost but the price of your call.

Ken Johnson

Reaction score
Guest battery charger

Thanks guys for the insite on battery chargers.
Ken