Beached Grady

Barbender

Reaction score
Ooops. Apparently no damage done, except to the skippers ego.

grady-1.jpg

Barbender

Reaction score
Hey Jack all is well out here. Yes it was a swing in the tide that put the boat on the rocks. Luckily was sitting on a bed of weeds so from what I heard no major damage. How goes the battle down south? The BP leak causing any issues with the fishing?

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Major Issues

Yes Sir Barbender, major fishing issues with the spill. Fortunately it has miraculously stayed a little bit to the west of my normal fishing area by about 20 miles. Every few days the size and location of the closed area expands or contracts. Normally it ranges from around 33 to 36 percent of the total Gulf of Mexico. Last trip out about ten days ago was good in the fact that I did not come in with an oil ring around the boat although I did not venture out my usual 60 miles that day due to weather conditions. The oil has driven a lot of fish into a lot shallower water than normal to the northeast of the closed area. It has been a fishing free for all with law enforcement reportedly looking the other way and most everyone catching and keeping all they can. The mindset is that all the fish are going to die anyway. Friend of mine caught a huge Warsaw Grouper in only sixty feet of water. This bad boy normally hangs out in 250 to 300 feet deep areas. Another buddy caught a blue fin tuna about 7 miles offshore south of Cape San Blas which is almost unheard of. Ran into the BP Boat Brigade on a boom laying practice run also on the last trip out. Quite amusing as it looked kind of like they were getting ready for some sort of invasion. I am always very serious about safety but 75 guys walking around on dry land all wearing inflatable life vest kind of cracked me up. The hodge podge of hired out to BP Vessels of Opportunity boats included a late eighties model Offshore 24. I tried to speak with the crew with limited success. I did manage to get a little response when I asked if they were going to lay boom. The shot out first mate replied "Nah we gone haul duh bird people and duh turtle people" Strangely the boat was named "EARL"! Just a matter of the right conditions happening which will move the spill into the west coast of Florida! :cry:

Barbender

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed update but reading your post made my stomach sink. Sad to read about so much destruction. I have customers in the Miami area and they are telling me that the other big issue is that the oil is causing water temps to spike. The oil being so dark is causing the ocean to absorb the sun instead of reflecting it. Not a good situation anyway you look at it. I found it surprising that law enforcement would allow that much fish being taken. You would think they want something left to create future generations. However as you say if the fish are going to die anyway I guess might as well take them. Does the ocean smell like fuel? That is so depressing especially the part about the fish moving to find cleaner water. I have a friend in NY who hooked a marlin off Long Island which he says is fairly uncommon. If you get the urge to come fishing in the Pacific NW drop me a line. Thanks again and hope things improve for you soon. Regards.

stifangibbsun

Reaction score
Hey it amazing how to you do that.and I read all suggestion I really dont know about it and because of this post my knowledge is increase. so send more information like that.