blotchy fibreglass

Ausstu

Reaction score
hi folks, after some thoughts of what would be the cause of the discoloration shown in photos? would a cut and polish fix it up? its a 2001 model 208 adventure.
apologies' for the size of the photo

Attachments

• IMAG1134 [282715].jpg
    IMAG1134 [282715].jpg
    788 KB · Views: 2,675
  • IMAG1131 [282718].jpg
    IMAG1131 [282718].jpg
    860.3 KB · Views: 2,675

Ausstu

Reaction score
re sized the photos to fit

Attachments

• IMAG1133 [282716]resized.jpg
    IMAG1133 [282716]resized.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 2,669
  • IMAG1131 [282718]resized.jpg
    IMAG1131 [282718]resized.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 2,669
  • IMAG1134 [282715]resized.jpg
    IMAG1134 [282715]resized.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 2,669
  • IMAG1130 [282719]resized.jpg
    IMAG1130 [282719]resized.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,669

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Did you spill some type of liquid? Is the boat oxidized - if it is, it can more easily absorb stuff.

Will compounding clean it up? Probably. But there's only one way to know for sure now, isn't there? :roll:

seasick

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
Did you spill some type of liquid? Is the boat oxidized - if it is, it can more easily absorb stuff.

Will compounding clean it up? Probably. But there's only one way to know for sure now, isn't there? :roll:
Try Collonite fiberglass cleaner. It's not too aggressive. Your glass has been stained by something. Using a cleaner with bleach and leaving it on can do that.
If the cleaner doesn't work move up to a polish/compound. Keep trying with more aggressive compounds. If it does clean up, apply a good wax.
Some may suggest the Magic Eraser. They can be too aggressive even though they don't look it. It is a last resort for me.
Looking at the pics again, the stain may be wax yellowing. Try some dewaxer, and see if the stain is in the wax.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Collinite is a great product line. Excellent customer service, too. TOTALLY agree in regards to the Magic Eraser... there's no "magic" there!

You might even try a diluted water:bleach mixture (5:1, 10:1, for example) and spray it on. Spray it on, walk away for about 5 minutes, then come back and hose off. I use that quite often on gelcoat of various boats that I'm cleaning to get mold/mildew/leaf stains off. That one is "almost" magic :mrgreen:

Jas

Reaction score
To me, that looks like the reaction my boat's gelcoat has when someone sprays on their sunscreen / suntan lotion. It also happens when they have it on and sit somewhere or rest arm, whatever. I presume you've already ruled that out? (It always dissipates, but it is annoying.) There was also a company's marine wax product that did something similar. Really ticked me off, don't recall whos it was and have thrown it away.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I recommend you try Seapower Marine cleaner and wax. That stuff is amazing. I have used it for years with good results on red wine stains, rust stains, suntan lotion stains, and bird poop stains.

Fishtales

Reaction score
seasick said:
DennisG01 said:

Try Collonite fiberglass cleaner. It's not too aggressive. Your glass has been stained by something. Using a cleaner with bleach and leaving it on can do that.
If the cleaner doesn't work move up to a polish/compound. Keep trying with more aggressive compounds. If it does clean up, apply a good wax.
Some may suggest the Magic Eraser. They can be too aggressive even though they don't look it. It is a last resort for me.
Looking at the pics again, the stain may be wax yellowing. Try some dewaxer, and see if the stain is in the wax.

^^^ This Collonite 920 is stuff you want. Use a random orbital buffer to apply and then wipe off by hand. Follow up with a good Marine wax. I like Meguiars Marine liquid in the black bottle. Very easy on and off. Need to do this every year to get the light oxidation off. For the non-skid you can use Woody Wax.

seasick

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
seasick said:
DennisG01 said:

^^^ This Collonite 920 is stuff you want. Use a random orbital buffer to apply and then wipe off by hand. Follow up with a good Marine wax. I like Meguiars Marine liquid in the black bottle. Very easy on and off. Need to do this every year to get the light oxidation off. For the non-skid you can use Woody Wax.

Ditto on Woody wax for the non skid but beware! When first applied and still wet, it is anything other than non-skid. I mean super slick:)

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
looks like sunscreen residue to me too. If you are doing your spring cleaning a good cleaner or cleaner wax should clean it right up.

freddy063

Reaction score
I try on/off or maybe some muriatic acid if it's a stain , if it's wax build up use acetone.