bunk glides

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello guys, Do any of you use bunk glides on your Grady trailers? I have a 208 and was wondering if it marks up the hull gelcoat. No issues in launching but am finding a bit of a crank on these ageing arms to retrieve sometimes. Before I get a whole lot older I would like to ease the the retrieval process. Yes, enjoying some winter fishing and prawning up here on Vancouver Island. Cheers, trapper

noXcuse

Reaction score
My dad's trailer for his 25' Proline has those glides on the bunks. They seem to work ok. His boat has bottom paint on it, so I'm sure that doesn't help. Have you considered an electric Powerwinch? I have one on my trailer, and it's awesome. I also have a roller trailer though.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't have it on a Grady hull, but a hull is a hull is a hull. Bunk glides are great. They may "mar or dull" the surface of the gel, but no more so than carpet does. However, they won't hold sand/small stones like carpet can. This shouldn't be done regardless, but DO NOT unhook the winch strap and safety chain until the stern is in the water. The boat might slide off by itself. It's not quite as "slippery" as rollers, but much more so than carpet.

Average Joe

Reaction score
Per the advice of the guy I bought my loadmaster trailer from I only have them on the front bunks. Works great for me.

Finatic

Reaction score
I have the slick bunks covers on my trailer and it amazes how easy it is to crank my Gulfstream up the last 12"-18". In comparison I also have a 17' Boston Whaler with just carpet on the bunks and it requires a lot more effort to crank the boat all the way up.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys, you have answered my question. I believe I will save the install on an electric winch for another few years as these ageing arms do need a little crank to keep in shape. Cheers, trapper

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have these http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html on my trailer, the boat slides off almost like rollers, I can't undo the chain before the trailer is in the water, if I do she will end up on the ramp. The slides are soft so they will wear out in time, you have to make sure you change them before the bolt heads are exposed. I had them on my old Trophy for 4 years and they were still good, so it may take several years before they wear out. I use them on the rear bunks as well as the front .
You can buy them direct, they come in several different sizes , they are pre drilled and they will supply the S/S bolts .
I recommend you rip the carpet before you install them but they can be installed on the top of the carpet. They will not wear your gelcoat but you will notice it brighter more shiny where they are.
Here in AU we mostly use roller trailers but ever since I bought a US built bunk trailer with these I will never buy a roller trailer again, there is no need, with these you have the best of both worlds, good for the hull while on the road and easy to launch and retrieve.
I drive the boat on the trailer almost up to the winch post and I never put the rear wheels of the LC in the drink, when I launch she just slides off.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There is a spray you can buy for the glides that makes it a bit easier. I can't remember the bane of it but I got it at West Marine.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Daman858 said:
There is a spray you can buy for the glides that makes it a bit easier. I can't remember the bane of it but I got it at West Marine.

Liquid Rollers (available at any marine store or marina) is a name brand for the spray can -- it's meant to spray onto carpet to make them a little slicker, not onto the plastic slicks or bunk slicks. Unless there something else out there that I haven't seen, yet. The plastic bunk slicks still work better, though. And you don't have to keep reapplying the spray stuff.

Graybeard

Reaction score
I'm a senior citizen with a bunk trailer for my Freedom 225. I asked the same question on a fishing message board and more people recommended the Liquid Roller option then the slick guides. Most didn't like the uneven load distribution on heavier hulls. I used it, but the boat still won't slide off the trailer unless I back down and hit the brakes. I have a 2 speed winch and I'm still good winching it up without dropping to the reduction gear.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Graybeard - go with bunk slicks. They really do work great. You won't be disappointed.

I'm not sure what those people meant by "uneven weight dist", there's absolutely nothing to worry about. I suspect that type of thinking came about simply because of forums. If those guys would physically talk to people in the business that know what they are talking about (from experience), they would come away from that conversation with a different viewpoint. But I think what happens is one guy mentions something about how he thinks it would be "uneven" and others chime in and eventually it becomes a "truth" because "I saw it on the Internet".

For what it's worth, I use the bunk slicks on my 26' Sundancer, which is somewhere north of 8,000lbs (without the trailer).