Carb Cleaning

GLGrady20

Reaction score
I have a 200hp Johnson on my 204C, seems like it has a low jet clog as it feel like the engine isn't getting enough fuel at low RPMs. Does anyone know or have a good reference for carb cleaning? Like a step by step to taking the carbs off, where the jets are and so on...

DB

Reaction score
If you have never done it...you will screw something up...pay a mechanic...if you don't know where the jets are...you've never been inside any carb. :idea:

GLGrady20

Reaction score
After doing some more research I think you're right. There is a lot more to it than I had thought. I have done carbs before on smaller two stroke engies and thought it would be about the same, looks like I am mistaken.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You might try a can of Seafoam mixed in with a gallon of fuel and run off a portable tank. Run it through...let it soak for 20 minutes or so. Then fire it up and go run it at WOT for 10-15 min.

DB

Reaction score
NO-NO-NO don't try this advice...WOT for fifteen min...have you lost your mind...the slow jet is clogged...replace slow jet problems go away...have done it many,many times...no amount of WOT will unclog slow jet since you are using main jet at that rpm...you'll just be beating on your motor...leave it to the experts.

GLGrady20

Reaction score
Yeah, it bogs bad as I throttle up from an idle, right around 1000 rpm. The engine runs great after I push it through this range.

DB

Reaction score
Just replace the Slow jets...the jets are cheap around $10-$15...the Labor to do it won't be...but it has to be done...make sure you have good gas in it after you do it...and make sure you have some type of in-line filter you may have rust in the tank...good luck

GLGrady20

Reaction score
Thanks for the help DB, I will try to take the boat to a mechanic next week to get those jets cleaned out. I wont try to open it up myself, I could get myself into trouble if I do.

DB

Reaction score
replace jets...they are brass you can't really poke them or clean them...well you can but...if they do they are deforming the jet opening.

no problem

Reaction score
my only suggestion is to describe the symptoms and say "fix it please" I wouldn't ask for a specific repair to be done as that may not be the exact problem. it does sound like a carb service is in order. make sure you have a good fuel filter and separator to protect those freshly serviced carbs. Here's my favorite, I like the clear bowl so I can check for water while underway. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... +Separator

GLGrady20

Reaction score
Well, I never did get my boat to a mechanic, so last night I went ahead and tried a can of SeaFoam, and I worked! Right away the engine idled better and I can now slowly accelerate without the engine cutting out. It is still a little rough, but the SeaFoam helped out a ton.

Jakkle5

Reaction score
DB said:
replace jets...they are brass you can't really poke them or clean them...well you can but...if they do they are deforming the jet opening.

This is incorrect. You can use a thin strand of wire, carb cleaner and compressed air to clean jets. It is done all the time. This guy sounds like a mechanic that wants to scare everyone into bringing there boats to a dealer.