Changing Batteries

jaydub

It's time for me to change out my batteries. If I remove both batteries at the same time before I put in the new ones, will I lose the information stored in the fuel gauge and fuel management system (gallons used)? Should I pull one battery and replace it with the new one before going to the second?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Always replace batteries in pairs, not one then the other. You want them to charge evenly and distribute the load evenly, if they act and work diffrently you will not achieve this and one will work harder then the other and will be overused and lose its life span quickly. It is also necessary to stay with the same type for both batteries, flooded,gel, or AGM, do not mix and match, they require different charge settings and mixing them may not be a good thing.

Not sure if you will lose the data, but if it is just gal used and such, can't you just copy it down somewhere? I believe there is a small battery inside the guage itself to keep this memory, when your batteries are turned off there should not be any power going to the unit, basically the same as having no batteries in at all, and my memory always comes back on my displays after I switch batteries on and off. I am not positive, but you should not lose the data.