Completed boat ride through VA and NC

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just completed my winter boat trip, this time from Chesapeake Bay to Beaufort, NC. Thanks to members Brian and Jaeger who helped this Florida Boy prepare for the trip.

Trailered my Grady to Norfolk, VA with intention of running up the Chesapeake. Only got as far as Yorktown, before an advancing snowstorm chased me back to Norfolk. Got the snowstorm part pretty good:

After shoveling out the boat, ran up the James River to Smithfield Station while waiting for Great Bridge Lock to thaw. Great folks at Smithfield. Once the lock thawed, I resumed my way south towards Coinjock. Then took a few side trips along the way towards Beaufort. Really liked Oriental Marina Inn and Bridge Pointe Marina in New Bern. Just great places with great people.

Overall, had a great two-week boat ride through VA and NC. Unusually cold weather made some portions quite an adventure. But the sights seen and people met along the way made for a great trip.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I want to do a similar trip myself. Oriental is nice. My brother use to teach at ECU and we have explored that area a few times. I am a Florida native and I have to ask.....why the winter? I totally get winter hiking and back packing, but winter cruising in my boat in subfreesing temps just does not sound fun.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Bob. I didn't realize you're a Florida native. Answer to your question, other than I'm just nuts, is that its, well, different than what I get at home.

I never got cold. Today's 'smart wool' layers keep you warm without bulking up. My hands, when I took gloves off to work GPS, would get cold, but that's it. As to why, there are many reasons:

1. Family vacation is in summer, so I can't be too close to that both for time off from work and for expense.
2. I just about have the whole waterway to myself.
3. No reservations needed at marinas or hotels. I just stop when I'm ready.
4. Prices are great. Just about every hotel/marina is willing to come down, sometimes by nearly half.
5. It's just great fun.

My goal is to do the 6,000-mile Great Loop. I've done about 1,600 miles over three annual two-week vacations. But this will have to be the last of the January-February trips. As I go further north I'll have to get an earlier start.

This fall - God willing and the Admiral allows - will be the New Jersey ICW, Delaware Bay, C&D Canal and the rest of Chesapeake Bay!

Rob

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Very cool. One day, I plan on cruising the Chesapeake bay in my 330 Grady. I have lots of roots there as my mother is from Crisfield, MD and I graduated from St. Mary's. College of MD. Not sure I would do it in middle of winter though! Good post!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Rob I was born and raised there. All my kids there too. Back in 06 I got tired of my career as a environmental planner consultant quit my job and bought a business in the Smokies. I had some and still do some v's tacation rental homes here and everything was going to plan until 2008. I have been limping along as the recession ain't over here at all.

I oook enjoy cold weather and we often do some cold weather backpacking here in the winter. We do it for similar reasons you mention about boating in the winter. Your savings are amazing there and you are right about that being able to cruise without reservations. That gives you tons of flexibility in terms of staying a day here or there and stopping when you want too.

I want to cruise from VA to Fla on the ICE one day myself. I think coastal SC and Ga are really pretty. Cool pics and after giving it some thought maybe i could plan a winter cruise like you did too.

Average Joe

Reaction score
I'm glad you enjoyed Smithfield Station. We love it there and GW club spends a weekend there efvery summer, it's our favorite event.