Considering an older Marlin. Any advice is appreciated!

Syoungs

Reaction score
Hello all,
First post after stalking the forums for a few weeks now.
We are looking at buying out first boat for offshore/Puget sound use. We have a lot of experience on boats in the Columbia river and lakes, but not much on the salt outside of charter boats. Ive always loved the idea of having a boat I could take offshore, but never seriously considered it until I messed up and got on a 6 pack express charter for albacore out of Westport WA. I am hooked now!

We started out search with 15k cash, trying to find an older trophy or Glasply, both are abundant in the pacific northwest. I have went and looked at 5 or 6 boats now, and not been happy with any of them for various reasons, with the common relatable issue being size.
The 23-24' boats that we've been looking at are just to small for us. (would like to fish 4-5 grown large adults)

So I started toying around with the idea of spending a little more money and buying a 25-28' trophy, which are around, but not as common. In doing that search I have come across a 1993 Grady Marlin 300. Bigger then I thought I needed, but the more I think about it, the more I realize this is probably the size boat I should be looking for.
The Grady is affordable for me, just at 30k, has twin 2001 Yamaha ox66's, and appears to be in good shape for the year. It is at a dealer 5 hours away from me.

So my questions!
Has anyone went with a wide beam boat like this and utterly regretted it? I live in eastern Washington, Tri cities, and would have to tow the boat to Westport or the Puget sound, to Illwaco, and sometimes down to Garibaldi or, depending on the season and year. I understand the permit process fairly well, but don't have experience moving a trailer this wide, that far. Is it a deal breaker?

Ox66's, seems like they are pretty bullet proof. assuming they are in good shape, is there any part of them that wears out to become un-serviceable? it seems like you could rebuild the powerheads for not a TON of money, and have a set of decent engines for years using these (as rebuilds are necessary)

Anything specific I should look out for on a early Marlin 300?

Thanks for any help!

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sounds like my boat to a tee. 92 grady marlin with 250 Yamaha 2 strokes. I have had it 18 mos now. Are you handy, if not be careful.
Cant say anything bad about my engines, they seem to be running great. Biggest problem was a tilt/trim motor going out on one which required pulling and dry dock. I dont have a trailer my boat has always lived on a lift. Thought about a repower with 250 Suzukis but 40 grand with engines running good made no sense.
The boat seems to have good bones, I did not have it surveyed. The price I paid was to good to pass up almost no matter what. My main problems have been electrical. The wiring on these old boats is not tinned and connectors are not heat shrink, switches and breakers have a life span. That leads to lots of corrosion and brittle wire. and failures That coupled with the amount of wire and cables running everywhere made for many situations of things not working or worse intermittently not working. In my opinion they just tried to cram to much stuff into these boats. I pulled my ac input and the only ac on the boat is what goes to a new pronautic battery charger. So far I have pulled the refrigerator and hot water heater but left cold water to head, galley and cockpit sink. Toilet works, but macerator pump was shot. Those pumps are 850$ so I pulled it and put a small bilge pump in the tank. It is now a number one bathroom only if you know what I mean. By stripping out stuff not used or needed or not working has made fixing what is left easier and I see there will always be a lot of fixing things. To me I enjoy it, it is a labor of love, but does get very frustrating some times.
As for cosmetics, it is an old boat with plenty of nicks and scrapes. That is ok to me that way I dont freak out when we come back from fishing and cant clean the mahi blood of the deck because someone hit a hydrant and the town turned off the water, it happened.
Plenty of good support on this forum and others and Jeff Bezos will be happy to get you most of what you need to fix things pretty quick.
My only regret, my wife made me spend way to much to recover all the cushions. I dont even want them on the boat, but I lost that argument pretty quick.
Good luck

Reactions: Syoungs

Syoungs

Reaction score
I consider myself very handy. Ive rebuilt transoms on smaller boats, rebuilt lots of powersports engines and truck engines, remodeled a few houses etc.
What I lack in knowledge, I make up for in "try"!

This boat does have a trailer, but not sure if its always been on one or not. Trailer us a 2012 rated at 12.5k
Ill probably pay for a survey if I can find an open surveyor. Im hearing most are booked out 6-10 weeks, and dont know if the dealer will eant to wait that long

Reactions: Halfhitch

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's a big boat to be constantly trailering, especially with little experience doing so.

I ran into the same problem with surveyors for my boat back in the beginning of July. Eventually after many, many calls, I found one that could do it within a week. It's worth it.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've owned a GW 28 footer (272) for almost 6 months now, and I love it. But even in this short time I'm convinced that the work will never end. There is always going to be something that needs love. It IS a big boat to trailer (and as you said required a special permit), but as long as you have the time, energy, and especially the money it can be great.

DO have it surveyed. You're probably right about the motors being solid and repairable (although the two strokes eat a lot more gas in the cruising speed range), but you DEFINITELY want someone that knows what they are doing to sound the hull. If you accidentally buy a "Grady WET" you will have a major project on your hands. They are BIG!

Here's my story: https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/update-on-272-restoration.29674/

Reactions: RussGW270

Syoungs

Reaction score
Yeah the width makes me slightly nervous, but i figure ill catch on oretty fast. Ive got 20k+ miles under my belt towing 8.5' wide work trailers and toyhaulers that are 24-35' long.

Found out the engines have approx 700 hours, waiting to here more details back. Also looking at some older trophys with mercury outboards. The 2502 trophy I could pay for with cash and have money left over, but I really like the idea of the grady for multiple reasons. Might not work out with this one, not in a big hurry to buy. Well see how it plays out.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Whatever else you do, by all means don't buy without a sea trial. Ask me how I know. (or read the story above!) 8^)

GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: RussGW270

Syoungs

Reaction score
Whatever else you do, by all means don't buy without a sea trial. Ask me how I know. (or read the story above!) 8^)

GOOD LUCK!

Being as that your real near where im looking at buying, have you heard anything good/bad about inside passage yacht sales in anacortes? They have the boat im considering.
Just read your posted thread, looks like youve had some work to do, but ended up with a nice boat in the end!
Reading about your problems with surveyors and yamaha techs makes me nervous, if you wouldnt mind sharing who you used id appreciate it!

seasick

Reaction score
What model (horse power) motors are the SXs?

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anacortes is my local marina - where I get gas. I would be happy to go and take a look at that boat for you if the timing works out.

my boat was purchased and traveled from Virginia Beach. names won't mean anything I don't think. I'm reluctant to share them publicly now that I've let everybody know that they did a terrible job.

Maybe send me a private message with your contact information and we can talk further.

Syoungs

Reaction score
Anacortes is my local marina - where I get gas. I would be happy to go and take a look at that boat for you if the timing works out.

my boat was purchased and traveled from Virginia Beach. names won't mean anything I don't think. I'm reluctant to share them publicly now that I've let everybody know that they did a terrible job.

Maybe send me a private message with your contact information and we can talk further.
Will do!

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Good boat. I owned one for many years. You really want to open the rear access hatch to examine the bilge. A clean bilge is a major seller and an overall indicator of boat health. Spend a lot of time taking photos through the access hatches, round ones and get a survey and do a sea trial. Look at everything. Front access hatch at sump also. Start the engines and look for a high idle. They should settle down to 700-900. Get ready to do some work on her. It’s a big boat to trailer. I wouldn’t do it in a city. Empty roads, no hills, no traffic with a really good truck and trailer , then yes.

Syoungs

Reaction score
Good boat. I owned one for many years. You really want to open the rear access hatch to examine the bilge. A clean bilge is a major seller and an overall indicator of boat health. Spend a lot of time taking photos through the access hatches, round ones and get a survey and do a sea trial. Look at everything. Front access hatch at sump also. Start the engines and look for a high idle. They should settle down to 700-900. Get ready to do some work on her. It’s a big boat to trailer. I wouldn’t do it in a city. Empty roads, no hills, no traffic with a really good truck and trailer , then yes.

Pretty much every path to the ocean or puget sound includes me crossing major cities (tacoma, portland, or seattle), and mountain passes. My toyhauler is heavier and same length though, and im starting to not sweat the extra width!

Thanks for the advice on the bilges. Working with the dealer now, still trying to line up dates and stuff to see it and survey it.

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Pretty much every path to the ocean or puget sound includes me crossing major cities (tacoma, portland, or seattle), and mountain passes. My toyhauler is heavier and same length though, and im starting to not sweat the extra width!

Thanks for the advice on the bilges. Working with the dealer now, still trying to line up dates and stuff to see it and survey it.
Hi there, welcome to a great place to learning and discuss. I have a 30 Marlin that I trailer and pull with a 2018 Ram 2500 diesel. I like the ability to move around especially when the tuna move. I trailer most up and down the west coast and planning a trip to Florida this October. It sounds like you would have no problem towing, it's really not a big deal at all. Efx mentioned about not pulling through cities, it is almost impossible to do so, I have lots of focus through downtown L.A. during rush hour and you would been amazed how easy it is to get whatever lane you need. Feel free to PM and we can discuss further, congrats if you purchase..

Syoungs

Reaction score
Hi there, welcome to a great place to learning and discuss. I have a 30 Marlin that I trailer and pull with a 2018 Ram 2500 diesel. I like the ability to move around especially when the tuna move. I trailer most up and down the west coast and planning a trip to Florida this October. It sounds like you would have no problem towing, it's really not a big deal at all. Efx mentioned about not pulling through cities, it is almost impossible to do so, I have lots of focus through downtown L.A. during rush hour and you would been amazed how easy it is to get whatever lane you need. Feel free to PM and we can discuss further, congrats if you purchase..

Good to know others are tugging em around! Ive got a 2015 f350 with the 6.7, its an absolute beast towing!

The congrats might be pre-mature though, still very eary in the process!

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
T
Yeah the width makes me slightly nervous, but i figure ill catch on oretty fast. Ive got 20k+ miles under my belt towing 8.5' wide work trailers and toyhaulers that are 24-35' long.

Found out the engines have approx 700 hours, waiting to here more details back. Also looking at some older trophys with mercury outboards. The 2502 trophy I could pay for with cash and have money left over, but I really like the idea of the grady for multiple reasons. Might not work out with this one, not in a big hurry to buy. Well see how it plays out.
trophy and stripers are not Gradys. Not even close. Don’t setttle for less. Keep looking a Grady will pop up for you.

Maineiac1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I am just a week into owning a 1999 Marlin 300 with 2020 Yamaha 250's on it.
Have the hull/boat surveyed, mine had one small soft spot in transom and the rest was above average for year.
What amazed me and the reason I bought the boat was that it is in excellent overall condition, no cracking or chipping in gelcoat, original canvases and vinyl are still in decent shape. It is amazing how well these boats hold up long term.
Definitely a lot of boat coming from a 25' center console. But i can already tell it was time to move up and I made the right choice.
I can't chime in on the old motors as I have no experience there but I will tell you a solid grady of this vintage is worth repower if needed.
As for trailering I have one on order, but it will only move twice a year as I keep it in a marina. A good 3/4 or 1 ton single should tow it fine, be mindfull of brakes and patient.
Good Luck with your search

jigstrike

Reaction score
I have a 98 Marlin. I keep it in a marina about 6 months a year, then trailer it home and she stays in my yard the other 6. Great boat!!
I pull her with a Dodge 2500 diesel. Its slow going, and always makes me pucker up, but I get there!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

GOOD LUCK!
Freaking amen to that...pun intended