corrugated pipe on mooring pole

GYP-SEA

Reaction score
Has anyone used black corrugated pipe as a slide on their mooring pole on a floating dock? I've seen it in NC but not sure how long it would work with oyster shells growing on the pole, or, does it keep them off. Do they need a float or do the lines from the boat cause them to move up and down with the tide. Any help would be great. :huh

seasick

Reaction score
There is one at my marina. It floats in the water and slides up and down the piling. I don't know about growth but assume it has its share. As far as I can tell, it does clean the barnacles off of the pole when it slides but it isn't easy to tell since not much of the pole is visible.
The 'advantage' is supposedly that icing of the water won't affect the operation of it and won't lift the piling but we didn't have that cold a winter last season to really test it.
I will say that it is a bear to install: It is heavy and has to be lifted up and over the top of the piling for installation. They aren't cheap either.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The one I've seen has it's own base donut shaped integral float and is much larger than the pole diameter, so can't see how it can stick.

The guy used it for a fender and he had a short line tied to adjacent boat cleat, could not have done that except on a floating dock.

He left the marina a few yrs ago and the device is still there.
I bet it's heavy because the corrugated section looks massive.