Cracks in the gel coat/fiberglass

Realtor

Reaction score
Okay, while getting the boat (2007 257 Advance CC) out of the water yesterday, I noticed a few cracks in the gelcoat where you hook the strap into the eyelet on the bow to the trailer. The cracks are anough to catch your fingernail on.

Question is, how does one repair this and if left uncorrected, could the cracks get larger with time?

I do not "pull" the boat on the trailer with the winch, nor have I ever "rammed" the bow into the roller. Not sure how or when this happened, but it's there now.

Any help? I'll be greatful.
Jim

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Don't do a thing, the boat is under warranty, have Grady check it out.

If it is a crack and not a scratch into the gelcoat, a crack should never occur.

The hull is very thick up there for obvious reasons. Report all cracks and the like to Grady, it's their problem not yours. You paid for a boat with no cracks.

Average Joe

Reaction score
Like Bob said, I had several gelcoat cracks in my boat, mainly around the fishboxes and helm seat bases and GW fixed them @ no cost to me.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Same here..Grady fixed all of my cracks.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

Realtor

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I have emails into my dealership and they are conversing with Grady White as we speak. For some reason, I didn't think about taking it back. Everything else on the boat is flawless!
Jim

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The way to get a crack in the fiberglass under the gelcoat, is a head on impact, or possibly an overtightening of the hardware.

Is your crack into the fiberglass or is it only gelcoat deep? The gelcoat is very thin as compared with the fiberglass.

If it is into the glass, then there's a lot more work to do than some gelcoat repair, perhaps that's why the dealer is calling Grady about it.

Realtor

Reaction score
Bob, the dealer has not even seen the boat yet, I sent them a few pictures and they sent them on to GW.
Jim

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No problem!

I'm too much of a DIYer, and expect too much of others along the same lines.