Cruise Air ??

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Was thinking about getting a portable air conditioner to make 228 G
More suitable for overnight on the Chesapeake in summer..
Anyone have any exoerience with these units.. Are thy worth the trouble ??.. Seems like stowage might be an issue

Tommyboy

Reaction score
I had one when I owned my 1973 28' Pacemaker ... It was a PITA everytime we took the boat out ... we had to take it off and leave it on the dock ... but It worked great .. it kept the cabin of that boat nice and cool .... if the choice is 'CruiseAir' or 'No Air" ..... easy decision for me !!!

Tom

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
hopefully ocnslr will chime in, I know he runs an A/C unit off his islander, hopefully he can give you some insight into the unit. Newer units aren't too bad, but you need to think about how you will power it, do you have shore power, will it handle the electrical load currently? If you plan to be out on the water you would need to purchase a Honda EU2000i inverter/generator to power it, I know ocnslr use's one for his AC. We use one when we overnight, but no AC. I'm not a fan of portable A/C's persoanlly unless they are for overnight purpose's at the dock, out on the water I think they tend to have a bit more problem's as well as being a pain, but if your overnighting near your dock or at the dock it might be a worthy investment.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
gradyfish22 said:
hopefully ocnslr will chime in, I know he runs an A/C unit off his islander,

I installed a Mermaid Marine Air 6,500-BTU Reverse Cycle A/C on our 270 Islander. Found room under the galley furniture, etc. Most of the story is on this site.

We already had shore power on the boat, with an available circuit on the AC panel. We use the unit on shore power when dockside, and can easily power it up with a Honda EU2000i when away from the dock.

Can get the cabin cold enough to hang meat when 90*+ outside.

Brian

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was only thinking o using it on a 228.. At a dock..
Would make overnight on the boat doable in summer.
We also have a 22' sail boat that it could work with. (I know-- a mixed marriage)
I have been thinking about going up to a 232 but I don't ever see air as a factory installed option on used boats.. Perhaps in Fla.

ahill

Reaction score
I have a Marine airrr 5000 btu rev heat & dehumidify on my 272. Works great and runs on Honda 2000 EUI on eco switch. I'm in S FL and it cools more than I can stand on the hottest days.