Deck hatch replacement for escape

Spinboy

Reaction score
Model
Escape
2000 Escape in Maine needs starboard deck storage hatch door replacement. Top skin cracked. Interior is punky. Afraid someone is going to put a foot thru it. No luck looking for used replacement. A new build seems cost prohibitive. Any suggestions? Thanks and Happy New Year!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When I cut out the entire cockpit floor and rebuilt (including hatch repairs... and even made one from scratch) I painted the floor with a nice, contrasting color with non-skid paint. That was much easier than trying to repair/match the existing gelcoat. If you did this, you could repair the topside of the hatch (and of course the core) and not worry about how pretty you make it.

I also now have A LOT more grip on the floor than the old, worn gelcoat.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can you cut the core out from the backside? If so, you cold repair the topside from the inside and recore and glass over that. When cured, flip it over and work on the topside. Grind out the cracks and fill with glass fibers and resin. Can paint gelcoat over. Should be very strong when done.

Jimsalv

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
well, you are going to have to pay someone to recore it, or do it yourself. Probably around a grand to have someone do it.