Deckplates - replacement

bhemi

Reaction score
My deckplate are old and ugly and won't clean up anymore. Also, even with new "O" rings I think they leak a little.

My boat is a 1992 Marlin and the plate have an 8" outside diameter. Who makes replacements in off-white and which is better: pop-outs, screw-outs or the ones with the T-Handle lock?

gradyrod

Reaction score
Deck plates

My deck plates are made by Tempress. The model number should be on the back of the plate that removes from the hole. Any deck plate should work, and if need be you can make the hole a little larger to accomodate a different brand. As for pryout or screw out, it's whatever you prefer-- I favor screw out.

To be sure of the hole size diameter you can remove the outer ring and measure the cut out hole size. This is what you need to know when replacing the unit.

Rod
1985 Fisherman 204

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As for the deckplates leaking, every year or atleast every other year you should be replacing the gasket material, it is fairly cheap too and will keep the bilge dry. If it is a deck hatch you open a lot, it will need replacement more oftren since it will wear more. As far as cleaning it, when you replace them, use 3M sharp shooter, it will get deep embedded dirt out of them and keep them looking new. Mine on my 2002 were looking dirty, hit it with sharpshooter and they look brand new again.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tempress Marine sells them directly on their site, replacement O rings too, in the off white color (beige color), if you prefer.

Exact same drilling for screws and hole size, just recaulk.

bhemi

Reaction score
Thanks!

Bought 4 yesterday from Tempress in ivory colour. Going to replace the cabin one and the far aft one with screw outs and the two over the gas tanks with pop outs.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Did the same myself -

Make sure you get the right size, overall size is not the sme as penetration size.