Diesel Generator Question

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
For owners of larger Grady's with diesel generators what additives if any are you guys using in the diesel fuel. I have a FP 4200 on my boat. When I bought the boat the previous owner provided me with an additive, which I have since used up. Just looking to get a recommendation on what I should be if any be adding to the fuel. I typically fill the tank with 5 gallon cans with clear diesel from the gas station. I'm in the north east and the boat sits on the hard from Thanksgiving to mid April.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
To The Good Doctor:

I have the same FP unit. My diesel tech who services my unit recommended Sentry Diesel Plus Treatment. Marine/50 Formula. (Little bottle with green front.) 8 fl oz treats up to 50 gallons. (It says over treatment is not harmful on the bottle; I pour roughly 25% of the contents into my 13 gallon diesel tank on my Marlin when I fuel.)

I know nothing about this, so I just do what my Service Tech tells me and it's worked fine.

I'm in Fla so I go year 'round. This Sentry Product says: "Stabilize Fuel- storage exceeds 30 months with no deterioration". It also; "Prevents fuel line freeze-ups and gelling to -20F."

I have a friend with a Nordhavn that uses Startron. As mentioned above, I do what the guys who works on it tells me, and he likes this Sentry Product.

Last edited:

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I use two part Rislone Diesel additive, mostly for it's lubricity additive given the warm temps in FL gelling is not an issue. I also use Rotella 15W-40 T6 full synthetic engine oil for added protection and less diesel soot.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Also curious about this. I haven't been adding anything to my 12 gallon FP generator tank and as I don't use it that often, I think I've gone 2-3 years between fills (maybe longer!). So far it's been running fine, but I'm wondering if I should be treating it.

Reactions: Meanwhile