Electronics box hatch

sailgsb3718

Reaction score
Hey guys so the hatch for my electronics box seems to not be made with the intent of staying open. Im wondering if maybe there is a quick release to pull it off or that's just the way it was designed? Usually they have the little spring props but this never looks like it was even set up for that.

Also I believe this is an echo sounder but there is a seperate accessory switch on the panel for it. If anyone could tell me what this is supposed to be that would be great too since it doesnt seem to be working.

Thanks guys for all the help!

Winged Pig

Reaction score
On my 272 those hinges are supposed to hold open the hatch when they open up. If they are not then I think they have given up the ghost. Mine are strong enough to hold up the helm cover if I don't take it off all the way.

Looks like your depth gauge has power, so maybe the transducer is not hooked up?

reelserious

Reaction score
Those may be a replacement hinge, but the original hinges are two position hinges (those may or may not be two position). I got a pair a few years back from my local Grady dealer. Even if they are a few bucks more, I would suggest the two position over the one.

As relates to the sounder, if you are lucky, it may be as simple as too much growth on your transducer.

seasick

Reaction score
reelserious said:
Those may be a replacement hinge, but the original hinges are two position hinges (those may or may not be two position). I got a pair a few years back from my local Grady dealer. Even if they are a few bucks more, I would suggest the two position over the one.

As relates to the sounder, if you are lucky, it may be as simple as too much growth on your transducer.
I believe these are the original OEM hinges. If you read the description it mentions the torques to hold the door closed or open and its use for electronics boxes.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If your boat was in the water (hard to tell from picture, but it appears so? It looks like the Garmin is working properly) when you took that picture, then like mentioned above, try cleaning off the transducer (is it a transom-mount?) with a rag or at least taking a good visual of it. It was likely added sometime along the way, which is why you have a separate switch for it.

It's a very simple unit so don't put too much time and effort into it. New ones can be bought for about $100. However, your Garmin appears to be fully functional so, at this point, the Standard Horizon is simply a back-up.

For the hinges... I don't know exactly what ones you have, but some of these style hinges are adjustable. Either by directly screwing/turning the end caps, or by popping off the end caps to expose the adjustment screws. Again - I can't say for sure in regards to specifically what you have - but some are like that.

sailgsb3718

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will look into the hinges, and the Standard Horizon is a thru hull transducer looks like everything is connected and the boat was just pout in the water a few weeks ago so deff not a growth issue, im not too worried about it so il probably end up just leaving it the way it is

seasick

Reaction score
sailgsb3718 said:
Thanks guys, I will look into the hinges, and the Standard Horizon is a thru hull transducer looks like everything is connected and the boat was just pout in the water a few weeks ago so deff not a growth issue, im not too worried about it so il probably end up just leaving it the way it is
C6-26 is a used on many of the boxes. That is a 115 degree detent as well as fully open (180), with stainless pin and 15 lbs of force The 115 degree lets you open the cover a bit past half way. For some hulls that have gauges above the box, that can be helpful to see the gauges. For your picture it doesn't really make a difference, the cover would be fully (180) open

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
reelserious said:

I agree that the Grady replacement hinges must be a whole lot better as they cost 3 times as much (at least my Grady replacement hinges did) even though they look exactly alike :doh

seasick

Reaction score
sailgsb3718 said:
Hey guys so the hatch for my electronics box seems to not be made with the intent of staying open. Im wondering if maybe there is a quick release to pull it off or that's just the way it was designed? Usually they have the little spring props but this never looks like it was even set up for that.

Also I believe this is an echo sounder but there is a seperate accessory switch on the panel for it. If anyone could tell me what this is supposed to be that would be great too since it doesnt seem to be working.

Thanks guys for all the help!
If you look closely at the lower section of that hinge, you can see two of the three springs that push the ball bearings into the detent holes. The fact that you can see the springs tells you that the hinge casting is broken and the springs are not compressed. The result is low to no holding force.
I bought the Southcos on line for approx $19 each. There are substitutes out there for less money but I don't trust the quality. My 2001 is on it's third set of hinges so figure 5 to 7 years of service.