Error Message Garmin 18HD- Radar Anyone seen this ??

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I got the following error "Radar service lost" I was idling along in totally flat water. The unit went into standby countdown. When finished , I hit transmit and unit came up again. It did not ever seem to loose power.
One would look for cabling problem but it was dead flat and I then ran across the bay with usual pounding and it ran fine for an hour to my destination.. Anyone seen this ?? Any Theories .. I am perplexed.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gerrys said:
Low voltage shutdown? Idling, you may not have had a good charge.

perhaps -- When I looked at voltage display it was 14 v but I think that was at full throttle.. Good an explanation as any.. Thanks

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
rorkin said:
gerrys said:
Low voltage shutdown? Idling, you may not have had a good charge.

perhaps -- When I looked at voltage display it was 14 v but I think that was at full throttle.. Good an explanation as any.. Thanks

Was out today and it did it again under full throttle..

catch22

Reaction score
From Garmins owners manual...

"Radar Service Lost—(radar) the unit has lost communications with the remote radar unit. Check
the network and the radar wiring".

So... first thing I would check is your ethernet, (net work) cable. Make sure the connectors at both ends, (display and radome) are completely seated. Un-thread the cable protectors, (ring) and make sure the connectors are completely "snapped" in. If your using an expansion box, check from dome to box to display.

Also, who ever did the install may have done a "field connection" on the display or expansion box end... meaning, they had to cut the connector off, to route the cable thru any hardtop piping and then re-attach the supplied connector. Those ethernet connectors can be tricky and need to done just right. There are eight wires, (connections) in those little "phone" style connectors and every one has to be perfect. If for some reason they didn't use Garmins supplied connector, it can be even more difficult, because a lot of the generic, after market connectors won't seat properly in the socket. I had a situation where I had to grind off the locking tab, in order for it to completely seat.

After that I would check the connections for the power cable to the raydome. Check any crimp lugs that may have been used and tighten any connections. If there's an in-line fuse, and you already have a spare place on a fuse/circuit breaker panel, then you don't need the in-line fuse... get rid of it, (they are unreliable). I would not be surprised if this were your problem, (power related).

If all the cables check out, the only other thing I can think of is.. update or re-install your software. I don't know which model you have, but I do know there were some software updates relating to the "hd" radar units. You can contact Garmin and they will assist you with downloading any updates. You'll need a blank memeory card of course.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Did the software update at Garmin's suggestion to no avail, so I guess now the wire check is in order.. Thanks

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had the same problem with my E120's on my last boat. WAS the network cable. What i did was remove every single one of them and cleaned it with a tooth brush, after that everything checked out O.K. The connectors get the salt water contamonation between the male and female and do not make a perfect contact.