Fischer Panda 4200

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Marlin with a Koehler 5e generator that has been trouble from day one. I got a quote to replace it with a Fischer Panda 4200 at my marina in Panama City Fl. The quote is $16 k. Has anyone else replaced theirs and if so, how much $ ? Any suggestions as that is more than I want to spend.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've had my Kohler 5E for the seven years that I've owned this boat - it has be a PITA and a money sink from day one. With the amount of $$$ I've put in over the years I could have paid for a new one - but that's water over the proverbial bridge.

I too have considered going diesel but have been concerned about (1) mixing fuel sources on the boat and (2) where and how to mount the fuel tank. From what I've read the fuel tank is only 13 gallons and if diesel is anything like gas that only provides about 13 hours of running time. With a full load of 350 gallons of gas I do like not having to worry about running out or did I remember to top off the diesel tank.

If I can figure out how to convert my wife from wanting to see the boat go to someone else (she's a non-boater & non boat spender) to agreeing to upgrade the genny, I think I would go with a new 5E with the sound enclosure and try to find some way to protect the genny from the salt water. I think a new 5E with enclosure is about $9k which, when you add the conversion cost to diesel, starts to account for some real money.

Just my 2 cents.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a fisher panda 4200 on my Grady 330 Express (600 hours) and we run it just about every time we are fishing offshore. The thing will run for days on a full tank which I think is 13 or so gallons. Had to replace the starter but that’s about it. Has been flawless. Is that how much those generators cost new? Wow?

My only complaint is how the generator is installed in my Express. Big PITA to change the impeller!!!!

HMBJack

Reaction score
For what it's worth - I too have the FP 4200 and generally like it (built in 2005). It has given me a few minor problems over the years (450 hours now) but I was able to sort through and resolve them with help over the phone from the FP Technical Team plus asking questions on this site (Bill here is a great resource - can see my earlier post on this >>> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25995

Anyway, I think GW went to the FP diesel set up because of safety and reliability with FP. Having a gasoline combustion engine below deck is less safe than a diesel. A pal of mine has a 330 Express with the gas Kohler genset and it rarely works properly (if at all). The diesel FP 4200, I'm told, will run 48 hours before getting near empty on the 12G remote tank. I add 6G of fuel about 2-3 times a year so it doesn't consume much fuel in my usage pattern.

Another good option is the Northern Lights genset. Not sure how it would fit but I'm told they are great little gensets. Good luck and hope your wife remains happy!