Fitting 228 hardtop on a 208

Savdriver

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
IMG_2355.jpegIMG_2356.jpegIMG_2358.jpegIMG_2361.jpegIMG_2362.jpegI’m interested in adding a hardtop and frame to my 2004 208.

There’s a local salvage yard with a mid-90’s 228 hardtop and frame. My local marine welder is great and would be willing to do this job. What do you guys think?

For reference, here are photos of the salvage 228 and also someone else’s 208 that has a canvas top with frame.

Last edited:

TMANN

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I'd bet they are very close, and you got the guy to modify it if need be.

I've got a 93 208 with a factory hardtop if you need any measurements just let me know.

Reactions: Savdriver

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think you're going to need quite a bit of modifying to make it fit. If you look at the two boats, the first one has the rear supports for the hardtop attaching onto the side of the helm area, but it's going downward at like a 45 degree angle. The second boat attaches almost entirely vertically going up and down, because the two hardtops and helm areas are completely different looking. Making me think that it's not going to be anywhere near just a simple bolt-on swap.

Savdriver

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
$5k all in to buy and get the salvaged hardtop installed, vs $10k for a brand new installed hardtop….

Thoughts?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
$5k all in to buy and get the salvaged hardtop installed, vs $10k for a brand new installed hardtop….

Thoughts?
Yikes... $5k just for the hardtop and frame or the entire boat? If the latter, you might be able to piece it out and get your money back, or most of it. If the former, then I'd say that's quite expensive for a used almost 30 year old hardtop. On top of that, you should be able to get something brand new for a similar price or maybe a little bit more. Sure as hell shouldn't be close to $10k, though.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Another option would be this, if indeed the $5k mentioned above is just for the hardtop/support on the boat you're looking at. This one is in Florida, but it's $6k and comes with a nice, somewhat newer aluminum trailer. If you parted it out, kept the trailer for your boat, or whatever you decided on doing.... I'll bet you could make your money back and even then some.

Savdriver

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Another option would be this, if indeed the $5k mentioned above is just for the hardtop/support on the boat you're looking at. This one is in Florida, but it's $6k and comes with a nice, somewhat newer aluminum trailer. If you parted it out, kept the trailer for your boat, or whatever you decided on doing.... I'll bet you could make your money back and even then some.

I keep my 208 on a rack in a nearby neighborhood marina…my boat is wonderful but I’d really like a hardtop. I found the salvage hardtop/support locally for $3,500…which I consider to be an OK deal (not awesome, but not highway robbery). Tack on another $1,000 for quality fabricating/welding…and an extra $500 for wiggle room and it all amounts to $5,000 for a fully installed quality almost factory hardtop.

The gentleman salvaging the boat has also offered the radio box/eisenglass plus the two ladder back helm chairs (including the well cared for cushions) for an additional $500…which is what makes it a good deal in my mind.

Alternatively, a quote from the same local fab/welder for brand new custom pipework to make a hardtop support would run $5,000. Custom fiberglass hardtop is something I would need to source somewhere else…which might cost $2,000-$4,000. Budgeting an extra $1,000 for unknowns would bring the total to $10,000.

If I lived in Florida, and needed a trailer, I might take on (another) project…but I’m putting a bit of a premium on convenience/local factors for this small project.

TMANN

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The 208 top pictured above is not factory. Here's mine.

Savdriver - what year your your boat?

Attachments

• 20231127_174727.jpg
    20231127_174727.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

Savdriver

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The 208 top pictured above is not factory. Here's mine.

Savdriver - what year your your boat?
Correct that’s just a reference for that particular 208’s attachment points. Mine is 2004 (see picture below).IMG_0058.jpeg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I keep my 208 on a rack in a nearby neighborhood marina…my boat is wonderful but I’d really like a hardtop. I found the salvage hardtop/support locally for $3,500…which I consider to be an OK deal (not awesome, but not highway robbery). Tack on another $1,000 for quality fabricating/welding…and an extra $500 for wiggle room and it all amounts to $5,000 for a fully installed quality almost factory hardtop.

The gentleman salvaging the boat has also offered the radio box/eisenglass plus the two ladder back helm chairs (including the well cared for cushions) for an additional $500…which is what makes it a good deal in my mind.

Alternatively, a quote from the same local fab/welder for brand new custom pipework to make a hardtop support would run $5,000. Custom fiberglass hardtop is something I would need to source somewhere else…which might cost $2,000-$4,000. Budgeting an extra $1,000 for unknowns would bring the total to $10,000.

If I lived in Florida, and needed a trailer, I might take on (another) project…but I’m putting a bit of a premium on convenience/local factors for this small project.
I guess my main thought on the boat in Florida is that you could probably buy the whole thing for the $6k, rob the hardtop and whatever else you needed off of it, and then sell the trailer for probably at least a couple grand, as well as the boat. In theory, you'd likely break even and not spend anything at all, or even come out ahead, but I get it that you don't want another project. Have you contacted any other local shops to see what they charge for a hardtop? $5k for the hardtop support alone seems like quite a bit of money. There was a similar thread to this one just a few weeks and/or months ago about a member looking at a company called Atlantic Towers... they as well as a couple other local shops might be worth a phone call to get some second thoughts on the matter in regard to pricing? I believe the base model Atlantic Towers unit is around $3k and then their custom ones start at $5k. Then the OP decided to go with a different place in Delaware called T Tops ETC, and I believe he said it's going to cost him $4k. Either way you look at it locally for you seems quite expensive to me. Is the local guy with the salvage yard firm on his pricing? I'd maybe start by getting the ladder back chairs and the other items you wanted for $500 first, shop around and see if you can get a better deal, and then go from there...

Savdriver

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
What the hell - send me a link to the one in FL :)

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What the hell - send me a link to the one in FL :)
It's the above Craigslist ad from Sarasota... it looks like a 1988 hull, 2003 ox66 motor and a 2004 aluminum I-beam trailer. But it comes with the factory style hardtop, which if it were me I'd rob that from the boat, keep the trailer if you don't have one or just sell everything else off as is. I'm thinking that you would spend less doing that as opposed to paying $5k-$10k out of pocket for the one that's local to you, as I'm thinking the trailer alone would be worth at least a couple grand. Same for the hull, etc.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree with fit adjustments. They are specifically made for each boat structure.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think the biggest issue is that you're trying to fit a mid 1990's GW 228 Seafarer hardtop on a mid 2000's GW 208 Adventure. Of which, they went through a pretty massive design change between 1997 at 1998, to where the 1998 and newer style looks quite different. If you look at the two boats pictured, it's very apparent at the two have different designs and hardtops are mounted completely different. I'm sure any decent fabricator will be able to make the above mentioned hardtop work for you, my biggest concern would be the expense. At $5k for the top and then another $1k or more for the fabricator to make the old hardtop work, it might be worth it more in the long run to look at other options. Again, just my opinions.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Not exactly on point, but we recently moved my 2020 hardtop to a 1999 228 and it went flawlessly. Fit like a glove, it's obvious that Grady did not change the mold in any way.

I was under the impression that the 208 is just 2 feet shorter but other than that the same? Maybe because you are dealing with a much older boat, perhaps there was a mold change.

Either way, good luck, I was fishing on my buddy's boat with what was formally my hardtop yesterday. Really felt like I was on my boat....

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was under the impression that the 208 is just 2 feet shorter but other than that the same? Maybe because you are dealing with a much older boat, perhaps there was a mold change.
There was a huge change, at least for the 226/228 Seafarer between 1997 and 1998. If you look at the second picture the OP posted, the 1997 and earlier style have the two almost vertical front cabin windows just below the windshield, whereas the 1998 and later style like our boats do not. It's a very quick and easy way to tell which body style it is. The 208 Adventure has that same vertical surface but doesn't have the cabin windows there on the earlier models. There are a few other quick ways of identifying the vintage by looking at the side cabin windows, where the 1997 and older versions had a different style and shape of window trim. The 1997 and earlier style resemble a rhombus figure with points on the bottom and top, whereas the 1997 and later style are more of a rectangle shape pattern. Which is why your hardtop worked almost perfectly on your buddy's boat but the hardtop that the OP is looking at is from a mid 1990's boat with different mounting locations and a different design.

Last edited:
Reactions: luckydude