Freedom 307 - Pros & Cons

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Looking ahead to my next possible boat. I am drawn to the dual consoles, and really like the extra seating up in the bow. Have looked at the Freedom 307 at the NY Boat Show and really liked it, though I would probably aim for a newer used boat (2018-2022). Shopping on line says there are numerous available.

Currently in a 2008 Sailfish 282 with twin Ymaha 250 4 Strokes. I have realized I really dont use my cabin, except for storage. My primary use is offshore fishing, along with time in the bay with family and friends. Fishing with 4 people total is probably my maximum crew. Trips to the sandbar on the bay could get up to 8 people.

Any Freedom 307 owners who can provide some inpuut on the pros and cons of the boat?. The layout looks great, provides protection from the elements and at the same time plenty of open air space and seating. The twin 300's seem to provide plenty of power. But how about handling in seas, sensitivity to weight shifts, fuel efficiency, range, and comfort. Does it work as well as it looks?

TIA for any input.

Btohvac

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I can’t speak for the 307 but we recently purchased a Freedom 285 with twin Yamaha 250’s and it’s awesome, can’t wait for May 1st

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
The 307 is the same hull as the other 30’s. While I have never had a Freedon I have had both a Marlin and a Canyon (Current boat). The 30 Ft. hull is a big, heavy hull. Not the most efficient hull in the lineup but a great riding hull that will do anything you ask of it. Twin 300’s is plenty of power unless you want to race. It’s not a fast hull. I can’t speak for the freedom but the Canyon cruises at 32-34 MPH at 4200 burning 25-27GPH at 1.4-1.5 MPG. Top end is in the high 40’s. These are real-world, loaded boat #’s. For your use the Freedom should be a great boat but make sure you can set-up for offshore if you do serious fishing out there. Make sure it has the rod holder capacity you want, gear storage on deck, etc. I’m not personally a fan of the Freedom’s for fishing-only applications but for mixed use they are hard to beat and they are clearly the most popular models GW sells for many years now. You won’t regret a 307.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the replies and input. Of the Freedom 307's I have seen so far, most have the electric sunshade, but a few have rocket launchers. The rocket launchers are my preference, as I really don't need a sunshade in NJ, and the sunshade just gets in the way of any casting.

I was wondering about the hulls across GW's model lineup. It makes sense that the 30 foot hull is the same across the models. As somebody described the 307 to me, "its more an SUV than a racecar", which I'm fine with. I don't need to go 50MPH, and if I can cruise over 30MPH at 1.4MPG, I'm a happy camper as I can go as far as I want, fish/troll, and still get back to port The perforance numbers are pretty stong.

Gear storage could be a little tough, as there is no under deck storage. But there is certainly deck space for coolers, or even on the seats up front if needed. Not ideal but workable.

My shopping for a perfect match continues!