Fresh water pressure and pump

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just when I thought everything is working and I can stowe the tools.... the fresh water pressure is now reduced to a trickle. Here are the symptoms, I could use some help diagnosing and getting to the heart of the problem.

1) when the faucet (cold water or hot) is opened the pump starts and flow is diminished.
2) then I shut faucet and pump still runs for a longer than usual time (initially).
3) noticed that the water in toilet has left a ring.
4) today all faucets turn on and only get a trickle, pump doesn't shut down.
5) had to shut down the breaker to the fresh water.
6) left for the day.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

seasick

Reaction score
Check if your system has an in-line filter. If it gets gummed up, flow will be diminished and usually you will get sputtering at the outlet. The filter could be attached to the pump itself or standalone.
Fresh water tanks are prone to grow things and those 'things' clog the filters. The filters are often able to be disassembled and cleaned.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the pump stays on after you shut the faucet off it could indicate a leak in one of the lines - was the boat stored in below freezing location and if so was it winterized. Once the pump cycles off does it stay off or does it keep coming back on

naphco

Reaction score
take a peek at the water pump intake connections and water tank connections
i had similar pressure and sputtering problems and found a loose hose connection and pump was sucking air

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
:uhm
Ditto on check connections. If you find nothing there or with the filter, the motor is next. The motor stops in response to a pressure build after demand stops. At first the pressure built was slow, now there's not enough flow to build enough. If it's a Shurflo pump, you can replace the pump head much cheaper than you can buy a new pump, and it's not all that hard ...

bhemi

Reaction score
These are simple systems to check. Tank is under the aft berth. Pump and hot water tank are behind panel on port side. Check a) tank has water (duh) b) check your filters c) pull panel and turn on pump and look for leaks (with all taps closed)

The pump has a pressure switch and will turn off when pressure is reached. If it keeps running either that switch is bad, it's not getting water or the pressure is bleeding off somewhere (a leak). My guess is a blockage.

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Fresh water pressure and pump - corrected!

Thanks for all the support! I found the filter and removed it for inspection. At first glance I thought there was charcoal fiber filter ahead of the metal screen. Wrong, it was an unrecognizable pulp that completely blocked water flow. Poured some clorox in the tank, ran the boat for a while to shake things up. tomorrow I'll empty the tank and do it again.
Best,
Jack

seasick

Reaction score
Re: Fresh water pressure and pump - corrected!

Moxsea said:
Thanks for all the support! I found the filter and removed it for inspection. At first glance I thought there was charcoal fiber filter ahead of the metal screen. Wrong, it was an unrecognizable pulp that completely blocked water flow. Poured some clorox in the tank, ran the boat for a while to shake things up. tomorrow I'll empty the tank and do it again.
Best,
Jack

That pulp formed in the bottom of the tank. One way to stir it up and get a lot out, is to put a water hose in the fill as far in as you can get and then run the water. At some point the tank will overflow and as it does, a lot of the muck will flush out. The screen may have to be cleaned again. You will know when it is time by the water pressure, sputtering etc.
A rule of thumb for the bleach is about 1/2 ounce to 10 gallons of water. You can start will a higher concentration to kill the growth but be careful, the water may bleach your clothes:)

eppem

Reaction score
I had the same problem when I bought my 03 265 used in 06. Fill the tank, and drain it again. You may need to cycle it a few times to get the "gunk" out of tank and filter. In the Spring I drain the pink stuff and fill and drain the tank and drain again. I then add a tank treatment, let that sit, drain and then refill again and drain 2 times. Keep ahead of the gunk and you wont have any clogs.

I have a 20 gallon FW tank, so it take some time with the fills and drains but in the long run, (like all boat maintaince?), its worth it.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What i do is at the end of the season i empty the water tank and pour 1/2 gallon bleach the the pink stuff. Beginning of season i add about 10 gallons (let the hose run for 5-6 minutes) then empty the tank completely. I then fill it up and pour 2 oz of bleach( i have 50 gallons water tank) with no growth what so ever.

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, I really want this tank to stay clean! For those that are curious about the problem i am posting pictures below.

DSCN0868.JPG

found the pump and filter in the lower berth behing an access panel port side

DSCN0878.JPG

This is what came out of the filter, gelatinous stuff!