gas tank issues

Mr Honey Do

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a 1991 Marlin 28
my mechanic in neuvo vallarta just informed me that he cant get the sending units to send a signal to the gas gauge at the helm.
he also cant get the screws on the sending unit to come out either.
we want to just replace the sending unit all together.
But are afraid of stripping the screws, and really cant take a grinder to grind them off....
yes the tanks are full of gas.
any ideas???
We had fuel problems when we first started re incarnating the vessel. Old fuel etc., corrosion has been pretty bad all around.
We are also thinking maybe tank replacements are really in order.
But it is located in mexico and getting that done may be a tall order.
Can a new gas tank just be welded together?
Is there any plastic alternatives out there....?
Wow! And I really just wanted to know how much gas was in the tank.......
thanks for sharing your thoughts/ solutions. :hmm

jbrinch88

Reaction score
I've been in this situation quite a few times. I've had good success using these methods. Using certain vice grips if you can get them to grab the heads of the bolts. Using reverse drill bits obviously being VERY careful and going slow. Usually this works and the bit eventually grabs the head of the screw and threads it out.

Another alternative is just drilling the heads off very carefully and leaving the threaded portion of the bolt in the tank. Then when you put in your new sender turn it slightly and drill/tap new holes. Obviously don't turn it a crazy amount where it won't allow the unit to fully come out i.e. hitting the sides of the tank. This also depends on what type of sender you're using.