good automatic windlass removal

neverenoughx2

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Grady White 28 marlin. I think the motor on my afd good automatic windlass serial number 7255 is shot. It has never worked since I bought the boat 7 years ago. When I try to raise it just clicks. I want to take the motor off and test it. Do I need to remove the entire unit above deck to get the motor off? There is a screw head in the middle of the cylinder which is the only bolt or screw I can see below deck. I tried to remove it but its stuck. I am not sure I even need to remove it to get the motor off so I havn't really commited to removing it.
Does anyone know for sure how to do this? pics would be great.

Thanks Tom

Slacktime

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with the windlass on my '03 Marlin. There are 3 very long bolts that extend down to the anchor locker fastened with locknuts. You can see them with a mirror. It was not easy to maneuver a wrench down there to loosen them, but with enough patience you can take them off. If you are small enough or if there is a junior around, he may be able to help by going in through the ancor locker access in the cabin. Disconnect the DC feed after turning off the battery switches . If you are not sure that the dc is off, disconnect the batteries. After the bolts are removed, you can pry the windlass up and remove it. Mine had a burned out motor and Lewmar wanted over $300 to replace it. I found a guy in the UK who used to work for them and he sells the parts for it. I was able to get a new motor for about $70 plus shipping. Amazingly it came in three days from overseas!

Here is his website: http://www.slspares.co.uk/parts.php?pro ... ric+Motors and here is his email address. support@slspares.co.uk He also has the service manuals albeit for a fee.

Good luck

Enough Already

Reaction score
Had the same issue - the unit needs to come off to repair. Prior post hits it - you need long arms or a tiny person to get to the backside of the bolts. I took mine in to Florida Rigging & Hydraulics (local to me) and they went over the whole thing, lubed it up, tested it, etc. for $50. Call them at 1-800-718-1649 and ask for Buck or Tim - they helped me out a lot.

ttles714

Reaction score
Call "good" they are located in Barnegat, nj usa...... The Best