Grady Fuel Tanks

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I seem to have lost the name of the OEM of Grady fuel tanks. Mine is a 1988 Overnighter and needs a tank replaced I believe. The deck plate is being pulled next week. I have an drawing from Grady with the dimensions on it but cannot remeber name. Seems they were in Florida and still in business a few years ago.

Sure I can get tank built locally but wanted to check and have options if the OEM is still available.

Bob

JeffN

Reaction score
My original tank (1983 Kingfish) was made by Florida Marine Tanks 120 Peter Gill Rd. Henderson NC 27537. Phone 305.620.9030. Needed to replace this year got my new one from them.

grinder2304

Reaction score
I am soon to replace my 80 gal tank in 1987 20' Fisherman CC..... Any idea what a shop might charge for labor to pull and replace? Tank runs about $750 shipped.

JeffN

Reaction score
No idea on shop cost. Are you handy? I did mine myself, on my boat it was not a big deal. Took the deck panel up (rebuilt the deck five years ago), removed the cross pieces and wedges and it came right out through the hole. Used new cross braces and wedges reconnected the hoses and fuel tank sender. If you have not replaced your fuel fill, vent lines and supply lines now is a great time. The line replacement that I did at the same time I rebuilt the deck hatch was more of a PIA than the tank replacement.

Penny pincher

Reaction score
I'm in the process of changing my fuel tank on my 1983 overnighter, the cross members came out easily. I was wondering if the wedges were screwed in like the cross members? Did you make your own wedges or did you get them from grady white? Once the tank is out I will clean and patch the tank well so that I can tack the cross members back in or is that a waste of time? Any suggestions? Greg :hmm

JeffN

Reaction score
Not to derail the thread - mods can move the install discussion or we can begin a new thread. Don't want to step on any toes.

In regard to the wedges mine (same year as yours) were screwed in. Look at the top of the wedge, mine had a screw on an angle going into the stringer, 2 each port and starboard, and one each on bulkheads fore and aft. The front one had the screw in the in the face of the wedge. I work in the trades so a carpenter friend made then up. Took him like a half hour for eight with spares. Had to cut down a couple on install. I made the cross members. I had replaced them when I did the deck in 2010 but put new ones in as I was in there the old ones looked OK. I got new neoprene from Jamestown Dist. for between the wood and tank.

The tank well needed to be cleaned up it was not art work down there by any stretch but everything was still sound. Put a layer of cloth and west system over all the old screw holes just to seal things up and keep the stringers dry. Like you I think sealing things up is a good idea. There was a boat out at the yard where I tie up with a bad tank earlier this summer it was a bit newer than ours but the construction looked the same style as mine. It appeared that tank would lift right out of the available opening like mine did. The new boats have more stuff on top of the deck that needs to be removed. My tank was original and lasted 32 years. There has been a rash of newer Grady's that require tank replacements it seems. Oh and under the tank Grady had a loop of what looked like rub rail to keep the tank off the wood and glass structure under the tank. It looked good so I left that and did not replace.

Where did yours fail? Mine was the top from water getting in around the inspection ports. The newer tanks I have heard about failing have been the tops too. The bottom and sides of my tank had no corrosion at all. I am going to pull the deck when she comes out for the season just to check my wedges and make sure everything looks good.

How do your fill, vent and supply lines look? Good time to replace while the tank is out - lots more room!

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the information and advice. Shop is pulling tank this week (I hope)!

Jeff, i appreciate the details. Post away!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Bob, I used Florida Marine Tanks when I replaced the tank in my '86 Tournament. They were the OEM for mine, still had the specs although I also got 'em from Grady. Don't know about shipping, I actually picked up mine at the plant, which is (strangely) in Henderson, NC. Be prepared for the 'hole' to be slightly undersized for the old tank ... :wink:

Jim

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sunshine marine tanks is the favorite of the guys on Classic Mako.

Penny pincher

Reaction score
Jeff
Thanx for the info. My wedges we're screwed I from the inside of the stringers. No big deal, the wood was really weak and knocking them out was no big deal. I had to cut the aft edge of the floor support so I could remove the tank. The top wasn't to bad but the forward face of the tank had several holes where the fuel smell and fuel in the tank cavity was coming from. The tank cavity needs a lot of cleaning and resin to reinforce the area. This isn't going to be a hard job, just long as I like to make sure things are done right. RDS in Florida made my fuel tank and they still have the blueprints to make my new tank. All the info on this sight is great. I'm going to try to up load progress pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,961
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3,962

JeffN

Reaction score
PP your tank must have been installed before the liner was installed. Go figure. I am pretty sure mine went in after. Appears you are off to a good start. As you have the old tank out already it should be smooth sailing from here on. Good luck with finishing up. Keep us posted.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
May be late to the party but,,,,,Florida Marine Tanks for my buddy's '88 Seafarer. Had to trim a little of the flange to remove old one, new one dropped right in.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Still waiting for the shop to pull the tank. They have had the boat since mid july just sitting in the yard. Got a call on Monday from them asking about the fuel in the tank.

The wait is killing me. Both places I have quotes from state it will be 3 weeks to get tank fabricated.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob -

CG? Are they that busy?

I'm hearing good things about MB Atlanta Marine....might be worth a phone call and a plan to move it....

JeffN

Reaction score
Bob's Cay said:
Still waiting for the shop to pull the tank. They have had the boat since mid july just sitting in the yard. Got a call on Monday from them asking about the fuel in the tank.

The wait is killing me. Both places I have quotes from state it will be 3 weeks to get tank fabricated.

You think they would be able to figure out how much fuel if any is in the tank. I lucked out I was able to barrow a pneumatic pump to remove my fuel. The thing was awesome. I had about 60 gal in the tank. Moved it into cars, trucks and a couple of fuel cans.

Hope they can get to your boat soon Bob.

Do you have the tank drawing from Grady or the OE tank builder? Or are you waiting to get it out to verify before they build? I was back and forth with FMT for a couple of weeks with plans being scanned and emailed. They were five weeks out with production then shipping time on top of that. I was able to get the tank out before I ordered to check the actual tank dimensions against the plan. At least it made me feel better about it fitting. Finally got the boat launched Aug 12.... better late than never I suppose.