Grady side panel covers

GradyGary226

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced or re-covered the side panels or the helm glove box on a 226/228 seafarer?

The vinyl looks pretty nasty from 1998 on mine.side_panel.jpeg

Fishtales

Reaction score
I believe those were a custom part from GW. Fairly thin and prone to discoloration and cracking. I thing you have an opportunity to do something a little nicer made out of 1/4" or less starboard. Might need to see a marine cabinet firm to get something sweet. See measure the space you have on the side of the boat and come up with a design. Then let someone with a tad more design and fab experience come back with ideas.

GradyGary226

Reaction score
What do you mean by recover? They were not covered to begin with, just molded plastic I think in your case, they are a candidate for a good prep and paint.
That is some sort of strechy vinyl over the plastic parts.

Thanks for the replies.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It looks to be, at least, "solid" - meaning no holes/tears/rips? If so... clean it up real well with degreaser, a light solution of bleach/water (let that set for a bit), soap and water with a red Scotch pad. Then you can paint it with SEM vinyl paint. You could probably even use Rustoleum/Krylon paint for plastic in a spray can. Prep is the most important - then a light tack coat followed by more coats.

Reactions: GradyGary226