Grady Sizing help

bhemi

Reaction score
I have a question about mid-sized Gradys. A good friend of mine wants a new fishing boat. He prefers a walk around. His slip can only hold a boat of maximum 25' LOA. What is the 'biggest' Grady in that length. He likes to be comfortable and needs a head. Can this be done? Say 1995 models and up.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I think the 228 is about the biggest one you'll fit in there unless you're allowed to stick into the fairway a little. Does he want a bracket or Eurotransom? Pulpit? They all add to your LOA. Once you put the engine(s) up, your adding measurable distance to the LOA.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Go back and ask him what the slip beam limit is, if he knows ?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Plym, my experince with marinas - they will stuff whatever fits between the port and starboard slip limits to maximize seasonal storage $$ fee.

And I doubt the marina considers the motor, pulpit or bracket in that 25 ft dimension, important he finds out first though.

A Journey or Gulfstream may also work, however slip width limited.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They will try to stuff the biggest boat possible in any slip, some just charge a flat rate for a slip no matter what's in it. If it's 25' max I doubt a 9 1/2 beam will fit plus you don't want to be that tight either. The Journey may be it but you're over the 25' LOA (especially with the motors up).

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I agree Bob. Just becuase it says 25' on the side doesn't mean it's 25'! The transients are the worst. They call ahead and reserve a 30' slip for their "30 footer" which sticks 5 feet in to fairway because of the swim platform & pulpit.
That's why I suggested the 228. When it's all said & done, my LOA is about 25'

busterblue

Reaction score
My Sailfish 252g is close to 30 from the engines on the bracket to the tip of the pulpit. The trick is to ask the question in a way you get the answer you're looking for. Saving a few (100) $'s on the slip (ex: by calling a 252g a 25'r, )is not worth worrying about your bits and pieces getting smacked as someone tries to manuever around you; or being the guy in the marina that makes everyone elses life tougher.

striped bass

Reaction score
Any of these models without the bow pulpit would fit: Gulfstream 232; Advance 257; Journey 258. You would be happy with any one of these models.

HMBJack

Reaction score
FYI - my 228 from Bow Sprit to the back of the engine cowl is close to 27 feet. I'm in a 30 foot slip and I fill it up pretty good.

striped bass

Reaction score
As long as he omits the bowsprit/pulpit, the engine will add on to the length for sure but not to the point where it goes that much beyond 25'. I suggested these GW models just under 25' because I have found that the bigger and newer the boat of those mentioned the less problems there will be down stream. If he can fit any one of them in the slip safely I would go for it.