Gulfstream 23 vs Freedom/tournament 22

wlewis

Reaction score
I don't have the need for a cuddy anymore and am looking at selling my jGulfstream and replacing it with a Freedom 225. After sitting in a 225 at a dealer, I''m having second thoughts because of seating position. Companion seat (fold down sofa model) seems too low, particularly for a shorter person and helm seat height seems OK although windshield seems too low to offer full wind protection as with Gulfstream. Perhaps I need to ride in one on the water to find out for sure. I'm speculating the 225's ride to be similar to Gulfstream even though length is 15" shorter because beam is 15" narrower. Has anyone on this forum ridden in both models allowing you to compare and comment on the ride and seating position differences?
Walter

striped bass

Reaction score
wlewis:
I have a Tournament 225 and have ridden in a Gulfstream. The Gulfstream is a different animal altogether due to the extra beam, length and weight. You are correct to observe the low windshield height on the Freedon 225 (which has been lowered from the original 225 Tournament height). I find the lower height bothersome becasue the top frame hits me right in the line of sight and I have to constantly move to look over or under the frame. The Freedom 225 ride is sporty, quick and open compared to the Gulfstream which handles more like a small family cruiser. I have a mooring and being able to walk up to the bow and pick up the mooring pendant is worth its weight in gold.

striped bass

Reaction score
6'1". My wife is 5'6" and she has the same issue with the top of the windshield frame being in her line of sight on the Freedom 225; not so on the Tournament 225 with its higher winshield.

BTW, we were in Savannah over the Holidays and loved every minute. The weather, food and people were terrific not to mention the beautifully kept antique homes and parks. You are very fortunate.

wlewis

Reaction score
Again SB, thanks for the input. I'm the same height so I guess I'll have the same issue with the windshield. Going to ride in a 225 this afternoon. Glad you liked Savannah. Come back!

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a Freedom 225, no issues standing and driving the boat and I'm 6', but everyone is different.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I concur with striped bass on the ride differences between the two boats. I looked at a Gulfy and have ridden in one and perhaps would buy one except its a beamy boat with trailering permit issues for me. So I went with a 228 instead given my needs to trailer the boat. I am 5.6 so the windshield frame issues are not really there for me as much. I have spent some time on the waters around Savanna and Hilton Head and a 225 would be a great boat for your area. I took my kids fishing in the creeks and rivers around Hilton Head and Hunting Island in my 228 and it worked ok, but there were times I would rather have had a 225 for that kind of fishing. When we go to Keys I do like the 228 and find it just as easy to tie up to a mooring ball at a reef as we did in our 192, perhaps a little easier due to the bow pulpit.

wlewis

Reaction score
Well, I test rode the Freedom 225 and bought it. I was able to lower the helm seat (a Deluxe II) enough to where I was comfortable and the windshield effective. I was not overly impressed with the sofa seat, however for the price of the boat, I can live with it. I might try to swap the sofa seat for matching Deluxe II seat at a later date. The unique feature that attracted me to that particular boat is a hard top, built and installed by Grady's factory supplier. It looks good, provides shade and supports to hold onto while running.The only thing I didn't like about the boat is how low it sits in the stern, caused by the overweight 4 stroke Yamahas. The stern scuppers are half way submerged when the boat sits still and the boat rides bow high till reaching plane. Perhaps a bit of ballast weight in the bow might help. Once I pick the boat up and get a chance to use it, I'll experiment with ballast in the bow. Does anyone on the forum have any suggestions regarding the low sitting stern,bow high ride? Has anyone tried ballast in the bow? I'd rather have a Etec, but as we all know, all new Grady's have Yamahas.
Now, if I can just sell my Gulfstream......
Walter

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi wlewis;

Congrats on the Grady; Fun times a'comin'

To comment on your engine weight issue...

The tendencies your Freedom is displaying is almost identical to my Gulfstream's with twin 200 4-strokes.

The amount of bowrise is personal to each captain. It doesn't bother me; I just plane it on over the top, or lower tabs if I have extra passengers or added weight. Not having ridden aboard your vessel, I'm just guessing that our boats are very similar.

I can tell you for a fact, however, that the scuppers being under water doesn't matter in the least. Mine are mostly submerged, and the boat drains perfectly anyway.

I'm a Yamaha guy, so I'm biased that way, but if the stern heavy attitude is a concern, experimenting with ballast would be a start. I feel that your Yamaha, if it was well cared for, will give you years of great service. If it's new, your odds go up even more.

In any case, enjoy your boat. The season isn't that far off.

BCLII

Reaction score
IWalter, did you get the 225 from Hilton head? Love the hard top. Enjoy your rig. :goodjob

grady23

Reaction score
Congrats on the "newused" boat. Be sure to check the bracket that it's not holding water. That will also make the stern sit low in the water.

wlewis

Reaction score
Yes, BCLII, it did come from Hilton Head. The hard top is what attracted me to the boat. Since it is new, I suspect there is no water in the bracket, but I'll certainly check. Thanks for the idea.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Wow!! We found ourselves in the same situation where we didn't use our cutty cabin anymore and wanted more permanent seating and deck space. I'm waiting on the delevery of a new Freedom 225 and I thought the windshield was a bit low. I typically drive standing up so I'm used to the wind in my face. Sitting down in my old Parker 21 walk around cutty I was way up there and the top of the windshield interfeared with my line of sight. So I stood up most of the time. Sitting down in the F225 I noticed I will be closer to the water and my head will stick up above the windshield. And it seems like the steering wheel is a little to the left of center??? But it's a bigger nicer boat than what I had so I'm happy

wlewis

Reaction score
I didn't notice the steering wheel left of center. I was able to lower the Deluxe II helm seat all the way down to where the windsheild is effective.

Graybeard

Reaction score
How did you lower the seat? Was a saw involved??

Graybeard

Reaction score
Well,
I had to lower the cost somewhere so I only have the standard helm chair. The demo boat in the showroom had a D-lux II and I was a bit disappointed mine didn't. The showroom boat also had a 300 hp while I had to settle for a 200. But it's one of the 6 cyl engines and not the new 4 cyl. The dealer said they are not ready to recommend the new 4 cyl 200 to their customers until it gets some history behind it. My boat did come with the lounge chair, which the wife really likes, full canvas and a morring cover. It's supposed to snow here in Annapolis on Wendesday, but be 50 degrees on Saturday when I take delivery. So I'll find out first hand anout the windshield and lign of sight.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Well good luck to you then. It's supposed to be 50 degrees in Annapolis this Saturday so I hope to spend some time on the water with my new F225. BTW....I've spent the night in downtown Savanna and did the Riverwalk a couple times on my way to Florida to visit the folks. Cool place

rus dunbar

Reaction score
Enjoy your new boat, you made the right choice as far as I am concerned I started with the 22, then went to the 27 and now the 30. Loved them all. When you learn your boat with the tilt and the tabs you will make it do whatever you want. Skip the ballast. I power up quick as I can then play with trim and tilt. Boat will drain fine. (The freedom much better than the cc, still plenty of room to fish, with much more comfort for passengers.) 22 miles off shore, seas kicked up to 5 plus ft. Every 3 wave came over the windshild (no hard top) for quite some time, boat drained fine. ps that is why I went to the 27 with twice the wt. and greater freeboard to take heavier seas, and then to the 30 for twice the weight again and still greater freeboard for heavier seas. Rus