Gulfstream fuel efficiency

robcar

Reaction score
I bought a 2001 Gulfstream, with Saltwater 2- OX66 engine(240 hours). I'm getting about 1.3-1.4 mpg with it. I expected more, and I'm pretty good about keeping trim tabs and engine tilt properly set. I do have much of the plastic up on the sides, and in the front, outside the -U shaped zip downs. I dont think gas is an issue as engine seems to be running well.
Can anyone verify if they have similar results?

Also, this boat seems much harder to dock than my previous 228. I think that is due to the wide beam- it hates to be told where and what to do...

Tks
Rob

Jas

Reaction score
For fuel effefiency, I think that's about right. Put on a four blade prop and you will increase your overall perfomance.

For handling tilt your outdrive up when backing down. Responds much better. Good luck.

Ted

RJTFD

Reaction score
Had a 2000 with twin 150 hpdis and I would see 1.8- 1.9 on average. I know the saltwater series are known to burn more than the hpdi's so I guess your are pretty close to accurate. Have you changed out your plugs? Do you have any unnecessary weight on boat? Have you checked your bracket for water ? I would think you would be closer to 1.6 than 1.3 just my thoughts. Good luck

RJTFD

Reaction score
Had a 2000 with twin 150 hpdis and I would see 1.8- 1.9 on average. I know the saltwater series are known to burn more than the hpdi's so I guess your are pretty close to accurate. Have you changed out your plugs? Do you have any unnecessary weight on boat? Have you checked your bracket for water ? I would think you would be closer to 1.6 than 1.3 just my thoughts. Also I really only would use tabs for listing and rest of time trim is what I used to keep bow up or down. Good luck

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seems a bit low to me - I'm doing a little bit better than with my Sailfish. Is your anti-ventilation plate visible when planing? Perhaps the motors are mounted too low.

There is a docking thread that helped me here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19634&hilit=+dock

One thing I found is that where I am, I can't reliably use the two motors against each other (as some suggested in the thread) because it takes too long to turn and the wind or current usually has its way with me by then. I found that I do better using one motor at a time depending on the situation - i.e., starboard motor when backing to port and port motor when backing to starboard.

Also, if there is any wind blowing at all - I take the plastic down.

Finatic

Reaction score
I hate to tell you but those numbers are pretty accurate. I have a 2000 Gulfstream that when I purchased it was powered with 150hp OX66s and I was averaging 1.3-1.5mpg during an offshore trip. I repowered a few years ago with a pair of f150s and now my cruise is 3900rpm 27mph and 2.0-2.2mpg. Best of all the f150s absolutely sip fuel while trolling.