handling problem gradywhite 265

little jenny

Reaction score
i have a 2001 265 express and have just recently been having some boat handling issues it seems to be a bit slugish and began to take a bit of habit of rocking side to side while under way i checked the trim tabs they dont seem to be sticking anyone have a similar problem what else should be checked or can it be corrected any advise would be greatly appreciated

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
G'day from Oz, First I would suggest you repost this on the general discussion forum as you will most likely get more responses.
Is your boat on a trailer or moored. If moored i would be checking all bilge areas for water . This will make the boat heavy and also tender ie. unstable.
As you say your tabs are working and you haven't changed anything from previous trips then do a search on this site for handling tips on 265's. They are more sensitive than some hulls, but not difficult to find the right trim etc.
Being a deep V witbh up to 22 deg deadrise they usually require tabs for latteral trim, and if people or load shifts while running as well as wind direction, then be prepared to adjust tabs accordingly.
As they are able to carry a heavy load of fuel and people this can make for some interesting trim adjustments, particularly in difficult seas.
One thing to be aware of with tabs is to always remove the exsisting tab setting before adding more to the other side as a situation changes.

gerrys

Reaction score
Check for play in your steering. You may have some air, allowing the motor to move slightly left - then right. It will cause the same sensation as the boat rocking. Also check that tour trim tab is in place and not loose.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does the boat have a bit of growth on the bottom, this can alter how the boat handles over the course of a season if you have a large build up, sometimes the build up will not be even, it surely will make the boat sluggish and the extra weight and a deep v could cause you to toss more.