Hard top market

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Is there much of a market for a used hard top from a Grady? I'm thinking of buying a boat from a saltwater location (with a hard top) and bring it back to the great lakes. I also want to store the boat in a barn with a 10 ft door. I won't have much use for the hardtop and it won't fit in the barn. What is a hard top worth for a 24 ft Grady and am I likely to find a buyer?

no problem

Reaction score
I would think that once you list the year and model you will find a buyer here. Not sure what it's worth, or how far someone would travel to get it. Good luck!

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good used hard tops are very hard, if not impossible, to find. I'm sure you will find and eager buyer for it. That being said, if you take off the hard top it will significantly reduce the value of your boat and the ability to sell it if you ever decide to put it on the market. Besides, it will leave a lot of holes if you remove it.

seasick

Reaction score
family affair said:
Is there much of a market for a used hard top from a Grady? I'm thinking of buying a boat from a saltwater location (with a hard top) and bring it back to the great lakes. I also want to store the boat in a barn with a 10 ft door. I won't have much use for the hardtop and it won't fit in the barn. What is a hard top worth for a 24 ft Grady and am I likely to find a buyer?

Depending on condition it could be worth up to a few thousand. Used hard tops are as rare as income tax reductions.
The downside is that unless you find someone local to you, shipping will be a major hurdle.
I agree about loss in value without it but I also appreciate your need to fit in the garage. Depending on the age of the boat and how long you plan on keeping it, the reduction in value might not be too bad. You could also store it should you see the boat in the future but it will probably just take up space and annoy you.

seabob4

Reaction score
I would make room in your barn to store it. Keep in mind that the holes that go through the cabin roof need to be PROPERLY patched! You don't want any leakage there, will trash your overhead in a heartbeat!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks for the feedback.

I haven't seen much of a difference in price for the boats I'm looking at with and without a hardtop. Again, most people on the great lakes don't seem to have a preference for hardtops since the fishing methods are a little different. Not to mention the ability to get under the many low bridges around here is very important.

Seasick's point is my thought as well. I could see if someone was buying a $50K+ used boat with and without a hard top. The price and desirability would be bigger, but if I'm spending high 20's now, in 10 years who will really care.?

GLGrady20

Reaction score
I'd be very interested in your top. I am in Michigan and would travel a little to take a look at it. I'm sure it wont bolt right up to my 20' Overnighter but I am willing to modify to make it work. Heck, I'd help you take it off your boat!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
GLGrady 20

If I close the deal, I'll let you know. I will first however see if I can make it fold down into the aft of the boat.

Regards

GLGrady20

Reaction score
Alright thanks, I am very eager to get a hard top for my boat. So if you have no need for it let me know and if we can work out a price consier it sold.

bsavoie

Reaction score
I'd potentially be interested in it as well. I have a 24' Offshore and we've talked about looking for a hard top.
I have a truck and am willing to travel if it becomes available.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
@#$!%!!
Sorry guys. It didn't work out. Someone outbid me at the last minute! :bang
I've got my eye on another one. If it works out, I'll let you guys know.

GLGrady20

Reaction score
Come on!! I was getting excited about the possibility of getting a hard top too!

Good luck in your boat search, if you happen to buy one with a hard top, you will have a buyer right here.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'll be sure to let you know. Very disappointing day, but hopefully another will surface, or this next one works out.

BTW, my Dad has an '85 overnighter 20 w/ an Evinrude 200 also! We've had a lot of fun with that one, but we're ready to move up to something the whole family can get out to comfortably play on!

GLGrady20

Reaction score
Yeah, I have had my Overnighter for about one year and have been very happy with it so far. It is one of the best rides for a 20' boat.

Good luck with your boat search! (Make sure it has a hard top!)

Butcherboy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm late to the party but want to add that the HT makes for a much safer boat due to all of the additional hand-holds it brings with it. If you find another I would try it for a season before you decide.......(barn remodel ????)