How to fix rubber console gaskets

Jas

Reaction score
I need to figure out what glue I can use for a repair. The rubber gasket that surrounds my overhead compartment (i.e. electronics box) and consol box have become loose. I’ve tried re-gluing them with marine based glue but that hasn’t held. These probably were originally put on with a high bonding material that adhered directly to the rubber. About half of it has pretty much just baked off.

Does anyone have first hand results with a glue that will work for this? And if not is plan B to replace the gasket strips? Who carries them? Hope that’s clear, if not maybe I can post pics. For anyone that has tackled this problem previously, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you have the rectangular shaped ribbed gasket, 1/8 thick --

Try double sided tape. Thats what's on the gasket material now.
Clean and dry surface first.

The gasket material in the same rigged shape is at the Depot & Lowes, only white in color. I did find a different style- looks like a flattened tube in gray that I may try. Would rather have grey than white.

No black.

Jas

Reaction score
Hey Bob, thanks for the reply. Not sure if the hardware store quite has “marine grade” but if that’s all there is that may be it. I may try a different glue or try my local GW dealer and see if they have the replacement gasket rubber. I’ll let you know.

Regards,
Ted

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The original gasket material in my '92 definitely has double side clear tape as the adhesive, that's what parted on mine, gasket is fine otherwise.

And this is even after may doses of dripping fuel at the transom service doors. Only the tape gave way.