Insurance Question

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have just purchased a 97' GW Islander. In looking around for insurance I have found that Progressive seems to offer the best program for my needs. I intend to use the boat in the Sea of Cortez for some of the year and their coverage would insure me to 150 mi. south of the border (according to the sales person, I have not seen a policy). Does anyone have any advice or experiences, good or bad to share?
yb

seasick

Reaction score
I have progressive and it was the best deal I could find. My buddy had a claim with them and they were great. Most of the feedback has been positive. Verify the coverage in writing. 75 miles is usually the default.

jellyfish

Reaction score
Parthery said:
I have Boat US...have had them for years. No complaints.
Thats who I use and it was good and easy. Cheap too. :lol:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Too bad, Flo sent me my own tricked name tag when I bought Progressive.. :wink: Flo is hot by the way....

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boat Ins

FWIW, I tried Travellers and they were about 10% less than what Boat US was offering. Yeah, Boat US has CNA and they are good too. But, what the hell, 10% off for a good company is good too.

Butcherboy

Reaction score
ins

I use "The St. Paul" through Mcgriff, Seibels and Williams Inc. The basic coverage is 75 mi. into Mex. but for an added fee they will cover throughout Mexico if that fits your needs. Also included is $1,000 towards towing on the water or on the road (which I have used). Tom

seasick

Reaction score
It seems that you can't make a general statement about cheapest companies. I asked around my club and some folks found Boat US to be a better deal and some found Progressive to be better. For me, I got quotes from 3 companies, Boat US was twice the Progressive quote. Even better, after one year, the rate dropped anothe 40%
I do belong to Boat US and have towing from them.

cuttyhunk

Reaction score
I've used these guys for the past 5 years: www.UnitedMarine.net
They were cheaper than Boat US.
I needed a $1M liability policy as a condition for my marina and they were the only ones who would write one for a 19' boat that I could find at the time.
I don't think Progressive was writing policies in Mass when I started with these guys. I have yet to make a claim.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Insurance

I decided to take a shot a NBOA, turned out to be the right move. Because of NBOA membership benefits that includes a $1000 towing allowance, combined with towing from the insurance company, I didn't need to write a check to Boat US for unlimited towing. I got towing and insurance for the same dough I was paying just for insurance when I had Travelers. Call Clyde at NBOA.

ahill

Reaction score
A friend got a quote from progressive and he said it didn't include theft. Seems odd but I'd verify.

OdessaTim

Reaction score
You must be very careful and read your quote/policy carefully. I almost went with a policy that did not include theft! This was from a major Company that has a cute little mascot. Their on line form indicated theft was covered but on the second page of fine print it is excluded. I called to verify and theft was excluded!

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Another thumbs up for NBOA.Give Micky a call. He hooked(Pun intended.. :wink: ) me up big time.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

Grady678

Reaction score
NBOA was 50% less than State Farm and Boat US for myself. I have yet to hear of someone having issues with reimbursement or reputation.