Livewell valve Frozen Shut--228G

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No amount of tapping or pulling seems to free the valve.. Was not used in a couple of years..

ANy suggestions on how to free..?? seems like a bear to get to..

Hoping someone has a simple solution

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Is this the plastic 'Y' valve that controls live well and wash down, or it it a ball valve attached to a thru hull?

If it's the 'Y' valve, you might be able to take it out and soak it in something to loosen it up (loose being a relative term). I'm tired of fighting with mine, and intend to replace it with one this one of these ... http://www.wmjmarine.com/gro-twv750.html
:hmm

G8RDave

Reaction score
You are probably going to have to remove the live well to work on the seacock. Luckily it's not that hard (several screws and two hose clamps). I've had to get down there several times for the live well pump and the replace the rusted rod connectors to the seacocks. If you can't move the seacock via the rod, you may have to take a wrench to the valve handle. If that doesn't work you could simply replace the seacock.

jbdennison

Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the sea-cock without taking the through-hull out? Does the sea-cock valve just unscrew from the through-hull? How hard will it be to separate the two in a 20 yr old boat? My sea-cock is frozen and the control lineage has broken off. I would really like to be able to close the sea-cock, but I have a terrible feeling that the job my devolve into replacing the through-hull as well (which I desperately want to avoid). Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I know this thread is pretty old, so I am not holding my breath.
Thanks in advance if someone knows about this.

G8RDave

Reaction score
Yes, the ball valve should just unscrew from the thru hull. Hopefully the two haven't fused into one block of metal!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just replaced my original leaky one with this one from boatfix.com: http://www.boatfix.com/shop3/store/view ... duct=26586.

Very nice design and easy to turn and see the flow with the arrows. I found the original one to be confusing on how to know which way the water was to flow. All I had to do was purchase one 3/4" nylon hose nipple to male thread for one of the connections and it was a done deal. Put some WD40 on the fittings and hose ends to get them to slide on easier then clamp back down.

I did have to drill a couple of new holes since they are not the same, but overall I think was not a bad job once I got the old one out.

G8RDave

Reaction score
I think we might be talking about different valves. The one I was refering to is the Apollo bronze ball valve. No way I would replace that with the Forespar unit in the link. I'm not eben sure how that would work. But, my boat has separate thru hulls for the livewell and the raw water washdown. Maybe yours has the combo with a y-valve.

G8RDave

Reaction score
This is the ball valve I was referring to.

Apolloballvalve.jpg