Looking for material to replace your dash panels?

Decorativeplastic

Reaction score
I found a great source to buy material to replace my dash panels.

Carbon fiber or woodgrain ABS sheets is the same material that is used by boat manufactures for boat panels.

Here's their website information:
www.decorativeplasticsheets.com

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I thought the same thing when I first saw this "recommendation". Shameful and even insulting. To state that he "found" this business and just wanted to "pass along the information" like he was a friend? Does someone really think that humans are that simple? I've got no problems with someone promoting their business - I'm all for entrepreneurship, but please do it in an honest way. Plus, aren't there some type of rules about ads here?

mboyatt

Reaction score
Right. All he had to say is check out my new website if you are looking for dash panels, etc.... Bone-headed move for sure. :-|

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Interesting approach for sure. Not the best way....not so sure it is not spam, but the site does work.

I would still consider any product made that can replace the old Duratrim that Grady used back in the day. Seems no one makes any type of product that can do what it did.
a. Simulated look of Teak.
b. No warping in heat, cold or sun.
c. Ability to use 1/4" thick strips and use as trim in a boat.

Now, if they came up with something that would meet those requirements, I would just have to give it a try....even if.....

Seems there would be some type of carbon fiber laminate that can be covered with a woodgrain laminate for looks that would be stable.

There has to be something out there better than starboard or PVC trim.
PVC works, but is too soft and dents very easily. Does some warping, but not as bad a Starboard.
Starboard is great in seafoam color for Grady, but no woodgrain look possible and warps like crazy.

fishbust

Reaction score
Robert, you could just use real wood and epoxy it with MAS epoxy (no blushing) and topcoat with Captains varnish. Would look great and last a long time.

Okoume and Sapele are both great choices. No glue voids and no knots. I built an entire 16.5 foot kayak using both and it came out great.
The sapele is the darker colored wood topside.

834_zpsd180661a.jpg

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
i would not purchase anything from you, simply due to the way you presented this "find".

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Fishbust, that is a beautiful job for sure! You should be very proud for that level of craftsmanship!

At this point, I will live with the warping starboard. I refuse to touch wood and varnish again for purposes of a boat. I loved my teak in my older boat...it was beautiful when oiled up, but quickly would fade to gray. Tried every remedy out there, and still made a mess to sand down and work over.

The Duratrim lasted well for 20+ years. I really don't understand why they did not continue with it and why we can't find that same stuff or an alternative. Wish we could find who manufactured it and find out what happened or what it transformed into. Such a mystery!

mboyatt

Reaction score
Can I hijack the thread? So, there have been interesting comments on the duratrim and it's durability, etc.... I have a 1994 Tournament, so I have the duratrim. Unfortunately, the instrument panel looks faded in areas and I have even used Penetrol to revive it. While it works somewhat, I just think it is time to update the panel. So, isn't there a carbon fiber product out there that can be used?? I definitely do NOT want to use starboard. Don't want an argument about it's merits, it's just not the look I am going for. I would like something along the lines of a "carbon fiber" look (if I am even saying that correct). I have seen many posts on here with photos of NewWire Marine and their panels. What are the thoughts on whether that would be as durable as our original duratrim panels?? One thing I did not like about the NewWire stuff was that then wiring was not color coded, which just made me wonder. Like most, if not all of you, I want whatever I do to look great but also to be done properly and not just slapped together. Sorry to ramble. Been thinking of attacking this project for several months now.

fireman_bob

Reaction score
Mboyatt I'm redoing the dash on my 2002 282 Sailfish. I got some quotes to redo both panels in carbon fiber and the lowest came in at $180 just for the panels (no switches). That's more than I want to pay for a couple of panels at this point. On my last boat I redid the panel with a 3M Dinoc carbon fiber overlay and it came out pretty good. I ordered some for this project and it should be in later this week. I'll post pictures once I finish the job. Basically if your panels are structurally good, this stuff is a vinyl sticker that you place over the old panel. It's used primarily for dressing up cars, but it works well for boats too. The nice thing about it is you can heat it and get it bend around just about any surface.

gw204

Reaction score
Rowmark Ultra-matte UV stable engraving stock. I've used it multiple times in the past with excellent results. They may even have something that simulates wood grain. I didn't want that look, so I didn't check into it.

IMG_0513.jpg

DSCN0223.jpg

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was toying around with using a laminate that simluates teak or any other look you want. Easy stuff to work with. Just cut a little oversize, glue up and then use trim router to flush cut.
They have UV laminates out there as well.
Just hard to do in small trim pieces, but for a panel that is already designed for you, just cover it up and trim it and reinstall could be an option to consider.

mboyatt

Reaction score
Many thanks for the input and photos! I never thought about an overlay. Interesting idea. I will not need switches and gauges, since I will reinstall those - my gauges are 1 season old. So, I may go the route of having a panel made for my specs. If I could get it done for 100 bucks, I think I would pop on that. GW204, I really like what you have done. Looks sharp! I just repainted my Sea Star helm in matte black, so that would match what you have done very well. Plus, I swapped out my original OMC gauges (that were almost 20 years old) with Teleflex Kronos gauges that have a similar look as yours. Thank you all again for the ideas and inspiration! I am splashing her in a couple of weeks for the kids spring break - week long trip. I will then have May and June to toy around with more projects before I do another week on the 4th of July. May just set up this project for the month of May. Have it ordered and ready to go, then swap it out in a weekend.

fireman_bob

Reaction score
I just redid both panels on my 282 Sailfish using carbon fiber overlay. The material was all of $10 on eBay. I posted a picture in another post here in this forum. I'll provide an update at the end of the season to let you know how it held up.

fireman_bob

Reaction score
As of Oct 2019 the overlay was holding up very well. Still looks like new when I sold the boat :)

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think we're being a little hard on him. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to see his name and the website are the same. Prob just having some fun with us.
That being said, the fake burlwood on a GW isn't right....