Marlin 2003 Yamaha 704 binnacle

wbdenamur

Reaction score
How difficult is it to change out a Yamaha 704 dual binnacle? Mine has gotten very stiff and extremely difficult to shift.

seasick

Reaction score
Make sure that it is the control that is stiff and not stiff cables or motor shifting issues. Use the shift override button and move the throttle handle. If that isn't stiff then the control. If it is stiff, you may still have bad cables though on the throttle controls.

The head units don't go bad all that often, usually the issue is something else as mentioned above.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Not difficult if you are mechanically inclined.

Probably not the binnacle but the shift cable(s). Could be the plastic connection at motor binding (white lithium grease).

test by disconnecting cables from motor. they should be absolutely smooth to shift when disconnected at motor.

If you don't drop the nuts the 704 box usually pulls out easily so you can open it up. Not familiar with Marlin dash but somehow you can access the nuts by removing a panel?

They come apart easy. be careful not to drop things into oblivion...
I would suggest looking at the 704 manual or youtube so you are prepared for what to expect to see.

replace cables by taping new one to old one at dash and pull down from motor end. You may have to find the end of the pvc rigging pipe (down low under batteries) and grab it there.

get number from existing cables to know the right lengths. they may be 2 feet different port & starboard.
Here's what I had on one side of my 265 ....on Amazon ...Seastar CCX63324 24' Xtreme control cable ($50.75)

You probably need different lengths with a Marlin 30. I would change them both while you are there and check the throttle cables for smoothness also.

I did not have to mess with any of the adjustments on the 704 binnacle.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd first remove the cables and see if it is the binnacle. I kinda doubt it. Probably the cables.

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I have had the cables supposedly changed out last season at the end of the year and it is still very stiff...shifter only and not throttle.

seasick

Reaction score
I have had the cables supposedly changed out last season at the end of the year and it is still very stiff...shifter only and not throttle.
Then its not the control. Were the shift cables also changed out? Is it harder to shift out of gear than it is to shift into gear (motor should be running for those tests)
By the way, how do you know that it is harder to shift in and out of gear? Did you try with the override engaged?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Maybe disconnect at the engine then and see how smooth it is.

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I didn’t try the override. I will try the override next weekend and also disconnect at the motor and try it. It is very difficult to go in forward or reverse but pretty good once it is. It is also just as difficult to get it back into neutral.

seasick

Reaction score
Just curious: Did the issue occur on both motors at the same time. If so, that is a bit weird unless you noticed after winter storage/unwrapping.
The cables can get gunked up with dried out lubricant. Try the shift override and let us know.
A while back I posted a trick about forcing oil into the cables using a piece of tubing and an air compressor. That trick worked for me works but when I installed new Teleflex Extreme cables recently, the instructions said not to oil/lube the cables