Marlin Hull Value

Reaction score
What do you think a 2001 Marlin hull would be worth? I talked to a guy that had one that was an insurance claim -- fell out of a sling and aft end of the vessel including motors submerged. It would need new power, switches, wiring, pumps, etc. in the stern replaced. Hull needed cleaning but is in generally average shape for the year. Looked like the cabin, cushions, etc. are all fine. Electronics are of similar vintage to the boat but looked intact. I don't know what the title would look like (salvage or not).

I'm guessing that a pair of F300's installed would be $45k to $50k installed so what would you pay for the hull? What other things to look out for?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Run away.

Unless you want the hardtop (not piping just the top), cushions, seats, bowrail, cabin doors,... small things. You just can't tell how much damage was done and could be a never-ending nightmare.

Slacktime

Reaction score
For something like that they should pay you to take it away!

Reaction score
Just to be clear -- one of the two slings in a boat lift broke and only the engines and stern end was submerged. The bow was suspended in the remaining sling.

seasick

Reaction score
If it has a hardtop, that would add to the value. If curtains and or helm cover are included and are in good shape. That wil also so add.
If the forward fuse block was not submerged, that is good and the rewqiring will be a lot less.

Anchor, windlass, etc??? All neede to be taken into account. How about gauges? Were thay submerged ( I suspect not from your description.)

twin f300 may be too much weight for that hull. I am not sure but originally it had 2 strokes, possiblty 300 pounds lighter for the twins
If the boat was only submerged aft, I would not be all that concerned. Batteries, switches, rear pumps. Maybe the oil tanks are shot but if you go 4 strokes, that is not an issue.
price out similar boats and then subtract motor value ( not repower costs, that is your decision) and a few thou to refit the rear components. I would think the hull is worth 5K and up and then add the extras. I assume the motors were removed. If not and they are included, there is residual value in parts.
As mentioned, if only the rear was submerged, I wouldn't be put off but if the entire vessel was submerged ( look under things for evidence of water), I would figure that a total re-rigging is in order and that is a lot of work since many components were installed before the deck was attached.

Reaction score
Thanks Seasick. That was what I was looking for. Boat has hardtop, curtains in decent shape, windlass, etc. No evidence that I could see that helm or cabin was submerged. I was thinking like you that if forward electrics were not submerged that rewiring might not be bad.

Trying to figure out if I could put together a new power boat for a good deal. Wanted to bounce the idea around with others.

rlangner

Reaction score
You can check with a GW dealer but I'm pretty sure the biggest engines you could mount on 2001 hull are 250's. i have an '08 Marlin with twin 250's and don't think you would need/want any more than that. Good luck if you decide to pursue it.
Rudy

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I 2nd seasick.
A wise man with a good eye for detail might have found himself a deal of a lifetime, but you MUST have the stones to walk away if evidence says to.
Good luck!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That part that scares me is insurance claim. Would it be a salvage title? Insurance companies don't like to loose money, if they want to total it something is up.

ahill

Reaction score
Having bought an inboard boat that was "fully" repaired after settling at dock, except for wiring, by a reputable shop, I would replace all wiring from the fuse blocks to the aft, engine harness & gauge wiring, under deck pumps, battery switches and wiring, grounding plate connections, airconditioning pump, generator if installed, charger, oil reservoirs, fuel filters & housings, fuel primer pumps, fuel flow senders, fuel tank selectors and probably fuel tank sending units.
AND I'm probably overllooking some things.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I saw the add for this as well, what part of Texas are you in? Did you ever go down and look at the vessel?

bhemi

Reaction score
Are you capable of doing all this rigging yourself? I have done a number of salvage cars in my day. Lets say a Marlin with a salavage title with new motors is worth $70,000. Look on boats.com and look at the price of 2000-2005 Marlins with low hours 4 strokes for comparables. If new power is $50,000 rigged and you need all new wiring and a new generator you couldn't pay more than $5,000-10,000 for the hull and win. This is assuming NO structural damage, that it just got wet. If you get your price and you're handy it's like ahving a new boat. You can trust everything you put in and nothing else.

There is a guy on thehulltruth.com who put new 250's on a 1990 Marlin. He can't sell the boat so he is selling the power separately.